• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Lowrance units??

JohnMickish

Question

25 answers to this question

That's nice that they're adding those things but first convince me that the past problems have been fixed if you want my money. I'm going to be upgrading the main sonar/GPS on my boat and move my other one up front. I don't want to spend the summer on the phone with customer service or waiting for the unit to get repaired.

Lowrance's new units are High Def versions of their 5", 7", 8" and 10" units. They have the broadband sounder built-in, which basically means the units take the analog signal from the transducer and convert it into a digital signal. The display is high definition and there are some added features and capabilities - one is a better built-in base map called Insight, another is satellite weather info capability.

I've seen prototypes of the units and they look very, very nice. The High Def display is outstanding. Another nice feature is they still have the external antenna, but the antenna is built into the bezel on the face of the unit so you can flush mount them, and don't need to mount a puck.

Their company line that I heard is that the software updates to set up digital signal processing in their existing units is what was responsible for the poor sonar performance in weeds and shallow water. They say the new HD units will be able to handle the digital info and perform like they should in shallow water. I haven't seen them in use but at least it's a reasonable (or convenient explanation).

The price for the 5" unit will be about $50 more than a 520/522 was this year. The bigger units are going to be about $100 more than their comparable unit this year was I think. Prices will be higher if you go with the versions with the Insights built-in map.

I thought something good was coming down the pipe so before the boat went into storage I pulled all of the electronics, cables and all, for [YouNeedAuthorization]. I have always had great luck with Lowrance but am feeling a little burned right now. This sounds promising, but so do the Humminbird units...

I've been a fan of Lowrance too, and fortunately haven't had the problems that some of the guys are complaining of ---- and for sure not as bad as some of them are saying. I was pretty impressed with the new units, and the Lowrance rep sure makes it sound like they've addressed the shallow water problems.

I think the only changes with the new HD units is internal. In other words, I think the previous transducers, ethernet cables and network cables will work with the new units.

Thanks PerchJerker for the inside scoop!

I haven't had the issues other's have commented on either, and I believe it's because I run my 520 and LCX-28c in manual mode all the time. I pull the gain down when I go shallow and turn it back up when I run deeper. The automatic setting doesn't seem to adjust well for weeds and it blasts out too loud of a signal for the graph to decipher when it gets bounced back and then it begins flashing.

In the spring (opener) I run in less than 6' of fairly weedy water pulling plugs and it maintains bottom contact all the time with the sensitivity turned down some. Shooting thru the hull also probably attenuates the signal some too, so 50% on my set up may be equal to 40% on a unit with a skimmer transducer for example.

LIMITOUT: This is exactly what I do as well... run my 520 in manual mode. You mentioned this setting earlier this summer when I started having troubles with my unit. It works good now over those relatively shallow (5-15' thick) weedbeds... just thought I would thank you for the advice.

No problem steffanf! I've always run my graphs sensitivity setting in manual, even the graphs I've owned before these newer style units where people have had issues. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't having the problems and others were until I realized it was most likely due to putting the sensitivity in manual mode and adjusting as necessary. I'm a tweaker and always have to be pushing a button or something so the automatic mode goes off on my graphs because I like the ability to fine tune the settings myself. I guess it's the engineer in me. smile

I can also understand why people get frustrated as they pay good money for these units and don't want to play around with the manual settings all the time and just want to put it in auto and go.

I can also understand why people get frustrated as they pay good money for these units and don't want to play around with the manual settings all the time and just want to put it in auto and go.

That is exactly the point. A guy shouldn't HAVE to mess around with it to make it work in the shallow areas , especially when they used to work everywhere, and the competition works everywhere. I know if I where Lowrance, I'd be a little nervous about my market share after this deal.

It can be pretty hard on the nerves when you are on a new lake that's only got a DNR map and you know it's shallow and you lose the bottom signal. eek

I just hope whatever they come out with fixes the current problems they have. I'm really tired of losing my bottom reading.

did you know that there is a new "beta" software update that adresses the shallow water

fishing in weeds problem. I am using it and it solved all the problems I had experienced.

It can be downloaded from their HSOforum.