• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Important message about St Croix Sturgeon Regs

DTro

Since I know there are quite few Sturgeon fisherman in the Cat Forum, I will post this here as well as the St Croix Forum.

As some of you might know, the DNR is considering some regulation changes for the Lake Sturgeon on the St. Croix and just recently held a public discussion about it.

Because of the low turnout and or comments it has been requested that comments and suggestions be emailed.

Please take a moment to send an email with your comments.

Basically the choices are:

The choices are:

I support a shortened season and changing the minimum harvestable length to 60 inches.

or

I don't support shortened season and changing the minimum harvestable length to 60 inches.

Please send email to:

[email protected]

Hey all,

This does work, we've had similar situations with some muskie regulations pending and voicing the concerns DOES make a difference. Just this week the stocking of Pokegema was approved despite a late uproar (ill-based and fact lacking but it still got press), and the phone calls and emails sent to the DNR were a big part of the decision to go ahead. What may have happened without the calles and emails?

I'd say aim high, tell them you want a longer season and 100% C&R!

Thanks for posting Dtro.....

Suggested a Continuous season of C&R only. With a supplemental harvest season (if the dnr thinks the fishery can handle it) of 4 weeks with one fish over 60".

That would really be the best of both worlds and I basically requested the same thing.

I already received a reply from Mr. Johnson so he's there listening.

Alright... e-mail sent.

Here's a copy of my e-mail if others are looking for guidance:

Gerald-

The word is currently moving through our community of sturgeon and catfish angling fanatics about the potential regulation changes to the St Croix River fall sturgeon fishing season. I have a feeling you will be receiving quite a few e-mails including mine.

I have personally been fishing for Lake Sturgeon in MN during the available seasons on the St Croix River and the Rainy River for the last 4 years. I fish for these fish for the sport and fun they provide like many of my friends and many other Sturgeon anglers in the state. It is very apparent the increased angling pressure these fish are receiving on both rivers. This is not too much cause for alarm as the sturgeon is a very hardy fish and handles catch and release very well (the recapture rate of certain fish in the DNR tagging studies confirms this). However I believe that overharvest of these can and will damage the fishery. For a fish species that making a comeback in this state and gaining popularity among anglers, I think we need to be proactive in regulation to maintain these fisheries while allowing them to grow as well. I think harvesting mature fish from the breeding population can only hurt the sturgeon over time. In my world, I would love to see a totally catch and release sturgeon fishery.

I believe the options that are on the table are as follows:

I support a shortened season and changing the minimum harvestable length to 60 inches.

or

I don't support shortened season and changing the minimum harvestable length to 60 inches.

Of the two options, I support the second one maintaining the current season framework while increaseing the minimum harvestable length to 60 inches. As long as the minimum harvestable length remains at 50 inches, we won't be seeing too many fish growing much larger than 50-55 inches, a direct downfall of slot limits. Once a fish becomes "legal", someone will keep it. Therefore I support moving the minimum to 60 inches although I support even more making the fishery catch and release only.

Thanks for your time...

Christopher Hanson

Hey guys,

Not to sound like a "cheerleader", but please post here saying that you sent an email. It'll be cool for Dtro to forward a link from a post here showing the number of FMers that voiced their/our thoughts back to the DNR.

I did that on a muskie related issue recently and the response was very positive and complimentary towards Fishing Minnesota. Pretty cool!

Thanks, and keep them coming!

Here's my email.... I was pretty up front about it! Keep them coming!

Gerald,

I'd like to share my thoughts on the proposed St Croix sturgeon season and harvest issues.

I'm primarily a muskie angler and a Fishing Minnesota staff member, and I was invited to fish the river this Fall. What an experience! I had a great time and got to experience the fishery first-hand. 20 fish in one night, biggest at 59 inches.

I am 100% in favor of keeping the 6 week season with a 60" minimum harvest, or going further and looking to a 100% C&R fishery with an expanded season. Why not open up a fishery and utilize it in the appropriate manner? If there is a need to satisfy those that wish to harvest, then let's open a limited season for them, and not penalize those in favor of a C&R mentality being promoted?

Propose a 4 week harvest season, 60 inch minimum to appease the meat-fishers, but offer up the resource to the conservation minded folks with a longer C&R only season? Hooking mortality is low, as evidenced by tagged fish being caught, and in cases on the same day that DNR officers were on the river!

Above all, I appreciate your involvement and I hope these points are taken into consideration.

Regards, Chris Haider