• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late fall crappies: What's been working for you?

DanS.

I have had mostly poor results this time of year contray to the popular belief that they put on the feed bag. I don't like to anchor much, but it seems that's what they prefer most of the time, little movement of the bait. Are some lakes still turning over?

This time of year look for crappies in the same areas that you would fish in the winter. The main lake basin area, particularily if there are flats nearby. I use the sonar to locate the fish and then work them with a floating jig up the the suspended level, or if the wind is low, a small jig with a minnow produces well if you can keep the boat stationary. I seldom use the anchor and keep moving about the area to stay on active fish. Don't be afraid to look in 30' or more water and keep your eye on the sonar to be sure you are over fish.

Hydro - That's what I have been doing, looking deep. The wind on Saturday was too much for me. I marked a lot of schools, but could not hold the boat in postion. I thought the lake would be good for a west wind, but was wrong.

I have been getting my A*% handed to me on the lake the last 2 weekends up north for crappies.......a big 0!!!! I think I will hit a local lake and gain some confidence before I go north again!!! HAHA

Ozzie Im with you man. The fsihing has been real tough after the lakes turned over. Last 2 times out for crappies I got 5. Thats right only 5. They were stacked all over my spots but I could not get them to hit anything but a spoon with a 2' dropper and a small hair jig with a couple gulp waxies. Slow trolled with a light pump.

The walleyes arent much better around here.

I winterized the old Explorer and unless we get a great looking week its done for the season.

went out this past weekend with a few buddies and found them schooled up suspended over the deepest parts of the lakes we were on..... like 40ft down over 50-60ft of water!!! not many big fish so stayed moving checking the schools and different lakes as we didn't want to take to many small fish from such deep depths....little tubes and gulp alive and a jig seemed to work but they were lite biters still........

I took limits on Sunday and Monday. They were in 10-20 feet of water off a reed bed down 6-8 feet. They bit on a walleye boober setup on rainbows and small shiners. The ticket was tail hooking the minnows.

I took limits on Sunday and Monday. They were in 10-20 feet of water off a reed bed down 6-8 feet. They bit on a walleye boober setup on rainbows and small shiners. The ticket was tail hooking the minnows.

Gotta love when you can catch them on those! laugh