• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garmin Etrex Legend HCx

Brade04

You can buy Garmin map software that goes on your computer and download selected maps to your unit. That will give you much more detailed maps than the background map that comes on the unit. And you can transfer waypoints between your computer and your gps, which is a great way to backup your waypoints to make sure you don't lose them.

You can also do that by transfering the data on a microSD card, or by using the USB port and cable.

You can also share waypoints, track data, routes, etc. with your friends by uploading them to your PC and then emailing them.

Go to Garmin's HSOforum and check out their available mapping software. You might especially find the Lakemaster interesting if you're a fisherman, USTopo software for land contours, US Roads and Rec for more detailed and up to date highway maps including information like wayside rest locations, gas stations, hotels, restaurants, etc.

Bob

You can also merge the Mapsource software with Google Earth to show track data and waypoints on satellite imagery. Pretty cool.

A neighbor asked me to map some fields so he knew how many acres they were as he was planning to rent them out. When I finished I gave him a printout of the borders using the satellite images from Google Earth. He really liked that.

Hmmmm.....maybe I have an idea for a part-time job?

Bob

If you are looking for an simple application to send/retrieve data from your gps, there is a program called EasyGPS. It's a free download that can handle routes, points, and tracks. You might need to install the driver for the Legend HCx. You should be able to find this on the Garmin site.