• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cold cross country meet

I am heading out in a couple of hours to shoot my daughter's last cross country meet of the season. The temps are supposed to be in the mid 40's, with 95% cloud cover, and a 20% chance of light rain. I am hoping the rain stays away!

Is there any thing I should be doing to protect the camera and lenses when going from outside to the inside of the car? Not sure if fogging will be a problem or not?

I will post some of my results when I return later tonight.

Do you have some gallon zip lock bags? Seal them in when they're cold, bring them into the house and let them warm up in there before you open the bag. If you have a good camera bag, leaving the camera in there until it warms up will work as well.

chicks, you should be OK, but Ken gave you great advice for warming gear slowly.

In cold weather I make sure all my gear is back in my padded camera backpack before coming back into the warm car/house so it warms slowly with no fogging, but I take my memory cards out of the cameras before I do that so I can download them and get to work on the images right away.

Sounds like a mighty dark day for photography. Remember, it's better to ramp up iso to 800 or 1600 if needed and get a fast enough shutter speed to get sharp images. Keeping iso down so the grain is finer when it's that dark can lead to blurry images from slow shutter speed.

Have fun out there! God bless dry chemical hand warmers! gringringrin

It won't be the coldest meet I've been at, just the coldest while trying to take good photos. The kids won't be nearly as cold as the parents. grin

Deitz, I am guessing you would have liked some under armour in 1989? That stuff is great for runners.

Yup, it was cold.. The MN State HS had some rule about if one kid wore running tights all had to wear it, and they all had to be exactly the same. We were the only team that had the same tights... We also waxed the bottom of our shoes so the snow wouldnt stick. We eneded up winning the team championship.

Beautiful day for shooting running! Nice even cloud cover, no bright sun to deal with! The camera should not be getting cold enough to worry much about moisture issues unless it is falling from the sky.

I don't think there is much for steady rain forecast today, but with intermittent drizzle or light rain you can keep the camera tucked in your coat and pull it out when you are ready to take some shots. You can always go the Hefty trash bag route to slip over the camera if you are worried.

I would be surprised if you needed over 800 ISO today and it might be a great day with the even lighting to give manual a try. Good luck, if you post some shots I will post a few from the other day where I used negative exposure for shooting late afternoon sun.

I was out just north of you hunting pheasants yesterday. They will taste mighty fine for dinner this weekend smile

Well, it was cold! It didn't start to drizzle until they were handing out awards at the end. Perfect timing!

My daughter shaved 31 seconds off of her personal best - woo hoo! gringrin

I used some of the tips that I learned when I met Dbl and Yakfisher. I hope I did them proud.

This is on the sprint for the finish

2970785780_3e2fd802f2.jpg

Another on the sprint for the finish, with her good friend in the background

2970785850_fc0e01d281_o.jpg

And Laura's "I'm trying really hard to keep my lunch" face after the finish grin

2970785914_d6a28b78e4_o.jpg

GREAT work fishinchicks! I think you did a very nice job! Nothing to critique here, just excellent sports shots. Good backgrounds, in focus and they show emotion and convey a story. You should be proud! And congratulations to your daughter on her personal best time!

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I let Laura preview before I hit the submit button, so she has seen the pics I posted. grin As long as I had the correct caption on the last shot, she was ok with it.

She is a freshman this year, so it is her first full varsity season. We have a very young, small team, so our times are not great. But, we no longer finish last in every meet. grin She finished in 20:27.

I did buy her supper! grin

You and Dbl would be happy to hear that I put together a Sauder desk for my oldest daughter yesterday. It took 3 hours, but that included making soup in the crock pot, lunch, and other misc. mom duties. I was able to break out the power tools, so it was a good day. grin