• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

scraping central AC unit

Dozer

I read a post somewhere awile ago about scraping out a central ac unit for scrap iron. I really dont remember the specifics though I was thinking all they did was drain all the oil and brought it in and got $70 $80 for it. Anybody know anything about this?

Roofer is right on the money.

If you strip the unit. Separate all the different components you will get a little more.

Copper #1, with no brazing/solder three weeks ago was around $1.40 LB.

Copper #2, With brazing/solder $1.30 LB.

aluminum/copper coils (clean) that means the cap tube cut off the ends and no

steel attached. 0.45 LB.

Sheet steel $100 a ton.

With those numbers I can get about $30 dollars out of a large unit. It takes me

about 20/25 min. to strip one and 7 gal. of gas to get to the scrap yard and back.

You do the numbers...

The refrigerant and the oil in the compressor ARE hazards waste, and you do

need a license to handle it. Thank you G. Bush the 1st. TDF opps did i say that.

I got $87 for the consdensor and lines from my daughter's rig this spring. Drilled holes in the compressor. I guess it depends on how far you have to go to sell it and whether you want to screw around. Just the compressor may be be worth the effort.

Copper prices are less than half of what they where three months ago.

Bare brite is $1.40lb, was 3.10lb

#1 heavy is $1.03lb, was 2.90lb

It's not going to get any better anytime soon, if you are sitting on some scrap I'd sell it now or prepare to hold onto it for years.