• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Annoying habit...

rainylakefisher

I have a 1-1/2 YO golden retriever that is typical for the breed in that she can't get enough attention. She would climb in your lap if you let her. Her annoying habit is to always try to put her paw up on your arm or leg. It's as if she wants to be touching you, but I just end up with dirty clothes. How does one correct something like that? I've tried slapping her paw away, or holding her foreleg down, but there isn't enough correction (pain) to keep her from doing it. I love my dog, but I don't want to hold her hand. :-o Any opinions??

If you have a pretty strong dominance over your golden already. A stern "NO" command..(If you used it before) should do it. And if she is more persistent to not listening to the "NO" command in itself, give her a firm poke (not hard) to the side of her neck. To let her know you are serious

With the demeanor of a golden, this correction shouldn't take long.

Good Luck.

Dogs putting a paw on you is a dominance act. Watch how dogs interact with each other. The alpha will stand over and lay on the beta dogs. If you are having trouble getting your dogs attention when grabbing a paw, try pinching the webbing between the toes between your thumb and index finger. No need to pinch too hard, it gets their attention pronto.

No 'shaking hands' have been taught for that reason. I had also heard it was a dominance issue, but except for this habit, I've established that I'm the Alpha in the house. I'll try the poke in the neck or pinch the webbing of the toes. Thanks for the tips.

It's not a dominance issue. Your dog wants attention. Our golden and griffon to a lesser extent will do this. I had asked my vet about it and she said my dog loves me. lol

Paws on your shoulders or back is a dominance move.

If your sitting and she puts her paw on your foot, just move your foot on top of hers and hold it there, everyone is right it's a dominance issue. just show your dominance that way, then she will learn she belongs to you, not the other way.