• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rose Bushes

paceman

We planted a bunch of rose bushes this past summer. They look great and are still blossoming. Do I need to do anything special to prepare them for the winter or should I leave them alone. I hope to enjoy them again next year.

It depends on the type of roses. If they are not winter tolerant, which most are not, do the following.

Trim them back to six inches above the main stem. Cover the entire plant with dirt. Pile it high over the plant. Do this for each plant. Buy bales of cover straw and mound the straw generously over the mounded rose bushes. You can also use the styrofoam covers. I have had better luck withe straw however.

Roses garden are great to have in the yard but are alot of work.

My grandparents always buried their roses with leaves. They never pruned in the fall. They simply buried all of them in a deep pile of leaves. Worked great. Then in the spring the leaves on the bottom are composted and just leave them.

Rogosa roses are the roses that need care.

With the shrub or pjm roses they are almost winterizing free but it is sugested to mulch the roots heavily,.

With the Ragosa the the idea behind covering is to prevent early budding or sap juices flowing, witch can burst the stem when frozen, by uneven temps. keeping in frozen soil extends past the freeze thaw period.

The hearty roses can tollerate thaw and freeze then thaw, the mulch prevents ground to thaw to early.