• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Duck report

jiggin' fool

What's happenning in the NE corner of the state guys? Any northern birds in yet?

I am guessing yes.., but not sure what the numbers are. Also, I hear that you guys have been through quite a soaker the last couple of weeks.., so I am guessing there are still a lot of crops in the fields????

I am leaving for this hunt on 10/28 and will be there through 11/2.

Any comments/advice much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

We hunted the NE corner 10/15,16 and 17. 4 guys 16 birds. OUr slowest trip ever. Hunted sunrise to 11am and 3 to dusk each day. There was enough water in unharvested bean and corn fields that they roosted in it. Very few birds flying at any time of the day. Very few birds on sloughs. Why go to a slough when the all you can eat buffet is open in flooded crops fields. The harvest is way behind. We think the birds were mostly locals as well and saw no influx of fresh naive birds. Good luck. We still enjoyed our time there and hope to go back.

Mwal

numbers aren't real great right now. most locals left and the new ones haven't come down yet. Might be a short fall..tons of corn in yet. If it gets cold the birds might zip right through looking for a better food source. There are enough birds around to hunt but you'll have to put the miles on to find them. I was scouting last night and checked a slough/field that I have permission to hunt...had 300 honkers and at least 5k mallards on it. So the migration has started but not real heavy.

Thanks guys!

Verg.., that sounds a little encouraging.., 5K mallards in one spot. I had heard that there was plenty of water, and that some folks were getting great shooting in flooded beans. Problem with that is finding it!!! If they swim where they eat.., who needs to fly.

Oh well.., there is still 6-days before I start hunting. Accuweather has forecasts lows at 12-14F this weekend with snow in Saskatchewan.., so maybe that will kick some birds in gear!!!

I appreciate the reports guys!!!