Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Johnsonator

#83 Caught Cheating

14 posts in this topic

83 got caught cheating and was penalized heavily. This is from Jayski.

Red Bull faces heavy fines for shaving weight UPDATE: NASCAR is expected to levy what could be record-breaking fines on the #83 Team Red Bull Toyota outfit on Wednesday. After Brian Vickers finished 11th at the Tums QuikPak 500 at Martinsville Speedway, the #83 Toyota was selected as the random car to be further inspected at the NASCAR Technical Center in Concord, N.C., where officials discovered the sheet metal on the #83 car did not meet the minimum thickness requirements. According to sources familiar with the situation, the sides of the car — the doors, fenders and quarter panels — were too thin. The NASCAR rulebook states in rule 20-2, 1D that teams must use a minimum of 24 gauge (0.025 inch thick) sheet steel for their car bodies. Also, the practice of "Acid dipping or chemical milling," which makes the sheet metal thinner, is strictly forbidden. One individual close to the situation said acid dipping would allow a fabricator to make the metal thinner. Once the steel is sanded and painted, it is nearly impossible for NASCAR to detect. Multiple sources said NASCAR returned the car to TRB after cutting off the sheet metal.(FoxSports)(10-22-2008)

UPDATE: NASCAR has issued penalties, suspensions and fines to the #83 team in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, as a result of rules infractions found on Tuesday during a Martinsville post-race inspection at the NASCAR Research and Development Center in Concord, N.C. The car was found to be in violation of Sections 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4-Q (car, car parts, components and/or equipment used do not conform to NASCAR rules); and 20-2.1-D (exterior sheet metal body parts did not meet the specified minimum thickness) of the 2008 NASCAR rule book. As a result, both the crew chief, Kevin Hamlin, and the car chief, Craig Smokstad, have been suspended indefinitely from NASCAR. Additionally, Hamlin has been fined $100,000. river Brian Vickers and owner Dietrich Mateschitz have been penalized with the loss of 150 driver and 150 owner points, respectively.(NASCAR PR)

RED BULL STATEMENT: Jay Frye, General Manager & VP, Red Bull Racing Team, on the #83's infractions: "As a team we accept full responsibility for the infractions regarding the #83's Martinsville car and will not appeal NASCAR's ruling. This approach to racing is against the values of the Red Bull Racing Team, and the necessary steps will be taken to rectify the situation ensuring it does not happen again. It is a privilege to race in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and we are taking this penalty seriously. R&D Manager Randy Cox will assume the duties of interim Crew Chief on the #83 in Atlanta."(TRB PR)

Update:

There is an un confirmed report that Ray Evernham and Chad Knaus were seen leaving Red Bull Racing. They were reported to have snuck out the back door of the shop.

Whatever. Hendrick is still the team to beat and has been for the last few years or better.

No brag, just fact.

Typical Toyota! Let's see they've gotten caught with MWR, Gibbs and Red Bull so far, are there even any other Toy teams to get caught??? Nice legacy they are establishing...

Junior Johnson and Smokey Yunick always said being caught cheating just meant you weren't smart enough. Those were the guys who made the rule book thick today!

I think their just trying to win like every other team. Oh wait, they got caught.

Exactly.

They all push the limit of the rules and need to or their winning might stop.

It's the nature of the beast.

My question is now that a handfull of crew chiefs have been suspended indefinatly from nascar this year, what exactly does indefinalty mean? What will they do now,work at the team shop? Can they ever get re-instated?

They are not to have any part in the garage or shop and not to have any contact with any member of the team.

From what I have heard is they will have some sort of meeting at the end of the year to figure out what to to with ALL members that have recived a indefinate suspention.

Sifty

I don't know of anyone off the top of my head that has ever been "kicked Out" of NASCAR.

I'm sure they will be back after the season is over.

Sifty

When they say indefinatly, to me that means forever. I guess that is what I was assuming and I couldn't believe that these guys would risk being kicked out forever.