• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coon Trapping

hey everyone im thinkin about starting to trap some coon. My buddy did it last year with pretty good success just wondering how you guys do it? he said he sticks a piece of pvc tube into the ground then put some bait inside it and the trap on the downside of the tube

Conibear trap and a 5 gallon bucket works also. Lay bucket on side with bait in bottom. Set trap across front of bucket. Tie trap to handle on bucket. Since trap kills quickly it won't go far. You have to use a pretty big connibear.

Your best be is to buy a book (makes great deer stand reading) or a video. I have been a trapper for about 10 yrs now and I thought I knew a lot about trapping until I took the Trappers Assoc. Class. (This class is now required if you are born after 1989.) I took the class just for the fun of it (its free) and I came out with a ton of info. But if you dont have time for any of that make sure you at least learn the basics before throwing out a bunch of traps. One big problem with the PVC or bucket set is that you are going to kill whatever sticks its head in there. Great set though if you dont have to worry about dogs. I use 220's in mine baited with crawfish or fish scraps. But that is only one of a million diff. sets for coon. They are pretty easy to trap and once you get started you will pick up on what works and what doesnt.

jake so i read about this new law and relize that i will have to take it i couldnt find any info about any classes down here the only one i could find is in walker but im not about to drive 250 miles for a class! now what? wont be able to get a license so that = no trapping

Conibear trap and a 5 gallon bucket works also. Lay bucket on side with bait in bottom. Set trap across front of bucket. Tie trap to handle on bucket. Since trap kills quickly it won't go far. You have to use a pretty big connibear.

If you do this type of setup it might be a good idea to at least put it up in a tree.You may end up catching someones dog in this kind of setup.Years ago i lost my best coonhound to this exact setup.

Browning, if you were born after 1989 you will need the class, looks like you might be getting help from an Instructor already. I take it you did not try and buy a license yet? If you cant get your trappers edu. class in this year I guess my best recommendation would be try to find someone in the area to tag along with and learn a few things. If you are not setting and checking the traps you should be ok. Of course that means you wouldnt be able to take any of the catch too but you could learn a lot. Good luck.