• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

You didn't "say" it but the negetive attitude towards other hunting "ethics" that were differnt than yours that conveyed that attitude.

"if it flies it dies" or "shoot and release" are NOT ethical hunting methodologies, nor are they legal. I dare anyone to attempt an argument. Yessirreebob, I have a negative attitude towards shooting anything that flies by and a negative attitude towards not harvesting what you kill. I think most people share that negative attitude.

Picking up your birds later rather than sooner. Fine by me. Not picking up your birds at all - Not OK and not legal.

If you want to water swat - Go for it. My earlier comment to Browndog was specific to statement regarding swatting swans. Which he explained he does in ND, presumably legally. That is fine with me. I don't and several other people on this forum don't water swat. IMHO it takes the fun out of it. I can blast swimming ducks all day, but it's like well, shooting ducks in a barrel. Not my thing. But, I am not gonna judge you or your actions when they are perfectly legal.

If you want to water swat a swan, you better make dern sure it's legal because I am calling TIP if I see someone cracking shots at an airborne or swimming big white bird. If your swan is legal, that's fine you can sort that out with CO at the launch. I have an extremely negative attitude towards shooting trumpeter swans. Sorry!

Here is the reply I got from the DNR. Not really an answer so I sent a follow up email to another party with the DNR.

Quote:
There are just too many issues--identification, private ownership, public interpretation, etc.

It is highly recommended that you report the sighting of a mute swan to a conservation officer.

Here is my response from Jay, the Prevention Coordinator of the Invasive Species Program with the MN DNR.

Quote:
I spoke with Ray Norrgard regarding you mute swan questions. Mute swans are unprotected and may be shot where firearms are legal. We try to keep track of where they show up in the state and whether they were removed from the wild. I suggest that people who intend to shot a mute swan contact the local conservation officer, so that if there are reports from the public of someone shooting a swan, we will be aware of it. If the location is near homes, parks, or other similar site we suggest that the local officer be involved in the removal. Also, whether you shoot one or not, please report the location of the swan(s) to me for our records.

As he requested, you should report all sitings to him. Here is his email. [email protected]

Just my 2 cents... but swans arent very good to eat. Like crane, good jerky of sticks.

Mute swans are often introduced because they are VERY territorial and great at keeping away other waterfowl. Golf courses often get them because they keep the geese away. What im saying is if you want to shoot one, go ahead, but a Mute Swan is really more like a tame bird used as a scare tactic for pests. Its hardly a trophy for your wall. Apply for a Tundra tag if you want to "hunt" and mount a Swan.... even those arent much of a challenge, but at least they are a "normal" spiecie of migratory waterfowl.

May want to get rid of because it may be running off other good birds. But i dont know if its really anything to be proud of. Good luck with it.