• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So I was out yesterday and notice some swans coming in. I identified them (after looking them up) as a mute swan. These swans are classified as a non-native invasive species in Minnesota.

Does this classify them as being able to harvest them? or are they protected? I could not find any information about them on the DNR site.

thoughts?

An interesting question. I thought it was legal, but like you, could not find anything to prove it.

It does say that any bird not specifically listed at unprotected is protected but I don't think that would apply to invasive species.

I sent an email to a couple people at the dnr and will post the responce as soon as I get one.

Even if legal, I don't think I'd roll the dice with that one. You screw that ID up and you're in some big time trouble. Not to mention anyone watching will see a swan go down. To each their own, but be careful.

If I were sure of the ID, I think I would take them. Many years ago, there was a private release of a handful of them in Chesapeake Bay. They now number in the thousands and are ruining the habitat for the native birds. The Game&Fish out there tried an eradication program and the screaming from the bunny-huggers made them stop it. Its best to solve a small problem before it gets larger-- and gets its own press agent and cheering section.

If it flys it dies.

Huh, tell me how its flying after u get tagged? Its bound to happen. Been there, done that. (wasn't a swan, some little bird I never heard of, thought it was a snipe).

Saw someone shoot a swan on opener, he got tagged, and we got checked. No tags here, but I don't think he was too happy smile

Yes, I do shoot swans. In ND. and water them there.

If you wanna legally take a bird go right ahead. And if you want to water swat them go right ahead too. I don't, but you are free to do what you want in accordance with the law. Just leave the MN swans alone and we are good.

The "if it flies, it dies" or the "shoot and release" mentalities don't help the cause of responsible hunters. They bring a bad name to those of us that ID birds before shooting and harvest what we kill. People that broadcast these immature mentalities, regardless of whether they follow it or not, might as well be collecting a check from PETA or some other anti-hunting group. They sure as [PoorWordUsage] aren't helping my cause and provide ammunition, so to speak, for those against my cause.

So, if I go to the same place sometime this week should I shoot it?

Here's what I would suggest... contact your local CO and tell him there has been a Mute Swan frequenting your waterfowling hole and ask him. I don't care how many people online here tell you that you can or cannot shoot the swan, contact the CO as he will be responding to the complaint of someone shooting a swan.

The Mute Swan is indeed on Minnesota's Invasive Species list. This material is available on the MN DNR HSOforum for your happy reading. I just spent a bit of time researching this and could NOT find anywhere in the waterfowling regs or the invasive species information the right to shoot one of these birds. It does however tell you to contact the Invasive Species office or your local CO if you encounter an invasive species.

I would definitely start with a phone call to the CO however. They may have a procedure in place for dealing with these birds.

I've personally never had to deal with this so I don't know the answer, however I agree with some other folks here about calling TIP if I see anyone shooting ANY kind of swan. I would do my due diligence before pulling the trigger on any big white bird. wink

Originally Posted By: browndog

Yes, I do shoot swans. In ND. and water them there.

If you wanna legally take a bird go right ahead. And if you want to water swat them go right ahead too. I don't, but you are free to do what you want in accordance with the law. Just leave the MN swans alone and we are good.

The "if it flies, it dies" or the "shoot and release" mentalities don't help the cause of responsible hunters. They bring a bad name to those of us that ID birds before shooting and harvest what we kill. People that broadcast these immature mentalities, regardless of whether they follow it or not, might as well be collecting a check from PETA or some other anti-hunting group. They sure as [PoorWordUsage] aren't helping my cause and provide ammunition, so to speak, for those against my cause.

You are like the guy that told me I couldn't use my Mojo because the lake I was on had a WMA attached to it. And I had to reply that if I can't use my Mojo you can't use your outboard because those are not allowed on WMA's either. Or are you the guy that reported me to the CO because I was not picking up my birds and when the CO met me at the access I said these ducks(four drake mallards, 1 gadwall and 1 spooner). Just because I was not running out after my ducks each and every time I shot one down like you and instead I was sending my dog to get them. Just because someone does something different than you does not make it wrong or illegal.