• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire pressure and speed.

KJSnider

Question

While doing some research about my uneven tire wear with my trailer, I came across this on Goodyear's site.

It said that for their RV and trailer tires, the industry standard was 65 MPH Max. If going faster, up to 75MPH, it said the industry standard was to increase the recommended PSI by 10, but only doing so withing the maximum pressure stated on the sidewall of the tire.

Now I have never heard this before, and have usually cruised down the interstate at 72 with the recommended PSI. But,,,, I would have to think Goodyear knows what they're talking about.

Anyone else doing this????

KJ

3 answers to this question

Is it a tandem axle trailer? you axles could be out of line. also the tire pressure depends on the weight. if the trailer is fully loaded you should have it at the recommened tire pressure for the weight. which is on the side of the tire. if its only half loaded i usually put it at 5lbs under. it could also be that your tires are out of balance. when you replace the tires try getting them balanced and if its a tandem trailer rotate them every once and awhile for better tire wear if you use the trailer alot.

It just has 2 tires on the trailer. I put new tires on today.

In the spring I am going to take it to a frame straightening shop. Something is bent or out of whack.

The sticker on the trailer has the recommended PSI of 35, so that's what I've been going with.

I was just surprised to find the higher PSI for the higher speeds.

KJ

I would go by the pressure on the sidewall of the tire, not the sticker on the trailer. I ran across this when my wife took the suburban in for an oil change. They set the tires at 35psi like the sticker in the door jamb says. Only problem is the stock tires on this unit are minimum 45 psi. The check tire pressure alarm was going off all the way home. I am really glad the tire did not come off the rim. You could not keep the truck on the road. Same with my jetta. My tires are at 55 psi, but the sticker say 32 psi.