• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat care in fall

andrew chadwick

looking at the forcast, it looks like it will be getting cold soon.below 32 on monday night up here in duluth I was wondering, should I remove the batteries from my boat, or are they going to be ok? one is a starter, the other is a deep cycle. I was curious about the water in the cells freezing, but then again cars dont seem to have any problem.

Any thing else that you would reccomend I do. This is my first year owning a halfway decent sized boat. before all I had to do was carry the motor in out basement. I dont have the option with the 50 on my new boat.

thanks

andrew

all you need to do is check yours lower unit oil, If it is milky or "contaminated" change it . this time of year you should run fuel stabilizer in your gas at all times just incase the lake is froze over next time you wanna go out. then just trim your motor down a far as it can go and see if there is any water in it. if so just let drain and then trim it back to trailering position. If you know you are done for the season , you can run fogging oil into the intake and rev up the motor as you spray the can . if it is fuel injected you really don't need to fog it and all 2-stroke motors are full of oil so it shouldn't corrode. if you can't run your motor on land, remove your spark plugs and spray fogging oil into the cylinder head and you will be fine. I do this almost every day so I know what i'm talking about.lol