• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beer Battered Walleye

Hey Lamb, Mix 1 or 2 eggs depebding on the amount of fish you are cooking, pour 1/2 a can of beer. Finish left over beer and open another beer. Mix the egg with the beer. Finish that beer and open another. I use 1/2 Shore Lunch and 1/2 cracker crumbs. Get those cracker crumbs as fine as you can. I use a rolling pin to get a small work out, and make that next beer taste that much better. You can any spices you want in the beer batter. Wash filets and lay on a paper towel. Have a beer. Take the fillet and dip in the egg/beer wash and then into the crumbs, coating both sides. Your oil should be heated to around 375 to 380. Cook about 5 minutes max a side or until nicely browned. Do not over cook them. If you are cooking walleyes, you can cut the fillets in half making it a little easier to handle. Have another beer and enjoy the fish.

G.C.

To try something different dip your fillet in the cracker crumb mixture first, then into the egg/beer wash and then back into the cracker crumb mixture and then into the pan.(double dipping is allowed here)

Beer is Beer to me as I don't drink it. I haven't noticed that though Glenn, must be the Vodka. 1 of the keys is to keep your oil temp up. Too low oil temp and yes it would increase the soakage.(is that a word). Keep the oil hot. 375-380.

G.C.

Take 1/2 box Shorelunch, 1/2 box Frying Magic and mix the two together. Add beer and stir thoroughly until the batter is the right thickness (you don't want it runny, but you also do not want it too thick. Batter should thoroughly coat the fillet and slowly drip down when picking the fillet up and holding. That's the right thickness). Make sure your oil is hot as others have stated. Fry until the fillet is golden brown, then flip until the other side is golden brown and it's done. These will brown up fairly quick, so do not over-cook. When they're a crispy, golden brown, flip. You can use any beer you want, I prefer a nice, cold bottle of GB Premium. Finish off the entree with some Busch's Baked beans (I like em cold) and some American fries and you'll have some good eats. Enjoy.

The reason I want to do beer battered is because the "old grouch" likes it. He is the kinda fish eating guy who needs it fried in batter with tons of tartar sauce to cover the flavor of the fish. Good grief!!!! I usually like mine sauteed in a little butter with just salt and maybe some lemon. Oh yeah, I like the Bushes grilling beans......yummo

have you ever tried leaving the skin on a walleye and grilling it? mmmmmmm! spread butter/margerine over fillet, seasonings you like fake onions put on grill medium heat about half hour, done. meat will seperate fron skin when done about 10 minutes before done pour lemon juice over.

The Recipe of Ones

1 cup flour

1 tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

1 egg

1 beer

You won't need the entire beer - you should have a slurp left for the cook.

Make sure the oil is hot enough.

Make sure you dry off your fillets prior to dipping in the batter.

Mix shore lunch with beer so it's thin enough to stick to fish, but where excess will run off fairly easy. Get some Panko (Japanese) bread crumbs that you should be able to find your grocery store, depending on where you live. Dredge the battered fish in the bread crumbs and deep fry them. When they are golden brown, take them out and immediately sprinkle them with a little salt. These will have the shore lunch taste, but may be the crunchiest fried fish you've ever had. My kids always ask for crunchy fish, and everyone that has tried them loves them.