• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To shoot or not to shoot???

Froggy4371

I have a problem. I hunt a small 7 acre wood that does not hold deer after november first. Never has in 20 year. Deer use it early in the season as a staging area until the rut. Once the rut starts they are gone. We have about a 80 acre woods across the meadow from us that is only 250 yard away. All the deer head there and into the lake banks. I was out the other night and I have had a camara out for 5 weeks. I see alot of does and a few small bucks. I had two 6 point bucks that came by at 10 yards the other night. One was a 1 1/2 year old the other had good mass and high tines so I believe it was a 2 1// year old. The neighbors do not believe in QDM and shoot anything brown. They own the 80 acre woods next to us. What should I do. I would love to shoot a buck with my bow but I would Love to see them grow. I also know that the neighbors shot all 4 of the little bucks I saw last year.

I am just frustrated on what to do. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Froggy

If you want a deer i would go ahead and take a shot if you know they wont be there after gun season. Gotta take chances as well maybe they will make it through the season, i would probably take the shot if its there.

B. Amish there is two nice areas like what your are talking about and I understand what you are saying by it. I think the problem comes in about november is our woods is NW of the other wood and the wind and possible snow come into there and in my opinion blow everything out of there.

I will see what happens and maybe take your guys's advise and see if they come back a third time. I have shot one deer (a very small buck) with the bow about 6 years a go and everytime I even see a deer my heart acts like it will jump out of my chest. I just hate to see the neighbors out there blasting away. BUT that is there right. I am heading out again friday and we will see what happens.

Thanks Guys,

Froggy

I hunt a 40 acre woodlot here around home and it's the same story. Older woods filled with buckthorn. Every year like clockwork the deer disappear around the 3rd week of November. Some years we'll see some rutting activity but more often than not, nothing. I've passed on opportunities for years and still haven't shot a deer in this piece of woods. Knowing what I know now, being in your shoes I would shoot if you get an opportunity. Any deer with the bow is a rush and even though you'd like to see those forks as 8 pointers next year, it often doesn't turn out that way. I find it difficult to sit during gun opener sometimes knowing many of the shots I hear are of the little guys I've been watching being plucked off. I'd do what would make you the happiest - only you know the answer.

I agree with stiknstring...it's a personal decision only you can make because only you know the whole situation and how bad you want a trophy animal to mount. You have to decide for yourself how bad do you want a buck on the wall and are you willing to go without filling your buck tag until that happens. Like mentioned...if you have not shot a deer in 6 years with a bow I would let'er rip...because any deer with a bow is a trophy in my eyes....they may not all be mounted and put on the wall but I cherish them all. You may think there are no trophy bucks in your area but the thing is...when rut kicks in those trophy bucks can come out of nowhere! Last time I shot a buck was about 3 or 4 seasons ago I took a 5 pointer...a few days later the land owner took video of a monster buck that showed up and tended a doe while under my deer stand! I do not party hunt so I'm a one buck per season type of guy. Since seeing that video I have not shot a buck since...always knowing that if I shoot a smaller buck I will never shoot the big one I'm after. I do however get oppurtunities and I'm fortunate I get a doe or two for the freezer (this is just how I feel and I don't expect everyone to have the same views..just my opinion about my situation) If I was not to have a deer and getting later in the season I would have no problem shooting any size buck. Sorry for the ramblings...I think you get my point...just got to trust your gut and do what you want. It's fun to shoot deer regardless of the size of the horns (plus they've done studies and found it cures frustration). Good luck, be safe and have fun! FL Sniper

agreed with the rest of the guys on here if you will be happy then take the shot! no one can sit here and say a buck has to be so big to be a trophy and everything else with smaller horns is not worth shooting. Thats not right your a hunter and you do it for the sport and whatever makes you happy then go for it! i have shot 3 bucks in my 8 years of hunting and the biggest was an small 8. Nothing special at all but i enjoyed them all the same. I've shot a doe this year and i was still just as happy. We have the same situation as you people meat hunt around us and most 1 1/2 old bucks get shot. Im glad there is a lot of corn around this year and i hope alot of those small bucks get that extra year so next year i can dedicate my tag to a nice buck. good luck!

I would say if you've seen a few smaller bucks no harm in taking one out. I have been bow hunting for 3 years, without harvesting a deer. Passing on spikes and forks. This year has been mostly buttons and fawns with a few does. I did see a 6 point at about 50 yds. Normally I wouldn't shoot a little buck before gun season. Sunday night 2 deer came crashing through right at my stand being chased by a 6 pointer. I stopped him with a grunt at 9 or 10 yards and stuck him. He went about 40 yards and it was over. It all happened within about 45 seconds if that, one of the most exciting things I've ever done it was awesome. Now if that same deer was wandering around at say 25 to 30 yards it would have got a free pass, not because of my shooting skills but i probably would have had enough time to talk myself out of taking a shot. Maybe I got excited with the first deer coming through but for me sometimes its all about how the opportunity arises. Absolutely no regrets on harvesting a small buck for my first ever bow kill.

If you get another chance at them go with your first gut instinct.I think any deer taken with a bow is incredible anyway.

Thanks for all the info guys. I have passed on a lot of deer and wanted to let it fly, and everyone talks about QDM and I think it is a great idea but you have to have the area support unlike what I got. I hope that some day will change. I have been able to feel the rush once and it hooked me for life. If feel bad that I want to shoot one but I also hate that that if I don't I probally will not see the same deer again. BUT I made up my mind it the bigger six comes back and I have the chance it is chops for supper!!!

Froggy

Get some meat in freezer. It's too bad about the neighbors not willing to let the little ones go. Is it possible for you to create a food plot on your land or as someone else mentioned create a bedding area. I think in your situation if you can keep deer in your area,you may be able to grow up a deer or two. Something to think about for the future.

if you know their arent going to be there after gun season.. shoot! have you ever tried food plots? get a source of food for them to keep them coming onto your land and also try to make a better bedding area.. thats the only advice i can give you if you know the neighbors dont believe in qdm.