• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

transducer hole?

dan z

I ditched that POS foam float on my old vex and just let the cable hang. Now I have a marcum and couldn't be happier with it NOT having a float. Floats allow the ducer to wander the hole and get in the way. Now I just adjust the arm so it's sitting nicely against the side of the hole and out of the way. Far less tangled lines and lost fish. If I get a nice fish on I'll still pull the ducer out of the hole but for 90% of fish I can just leave it in.

The extra hole thing works great until you have a big fish, especially pike, swim right under the ice after you hook them and tangle in the cord. Ooh the headache that is. The fish has to come out the transducer hole. So you have to open the bail and lay the rod down, pull up the trnasducer and hope the fish come easily. The best case scenario , you land the fish. The worst, the fish takes off and the line cuts through the rubber on the transducer cable and exposes the wiring and the hook breaks off. One time the rod even went down the hole. Your transducer will last awhile but its gonna stop working.

Heres what I did. Tie a shoelace from the trasducer to the handle of my flasher and put the transducer in my jigging hole. I can pull out the transducer a ton faster now, and not have to reach clear to the ice. Its not perfect but I havent replaced any trnasducers since I did it. If I had a permanent I would tie the shoelace to a ring or hook on the wall to make it even easier. If I used the styrofoam I would attach a piece of wire or plastic stip so I could pull that up easily. Good Luck whatever you decide.

Originally Posted By: Mike412
Originally Posted By: zamboni
Buy a MarCum- no huge piece of styrofoam getting in the way grin

Or you can slide the styrofoam off. wink

#1 ice fishing flasher accessory bought by Marcum users, for there Marcums every season is .... a Vexilar float kit. I swear to God...I see it every season guys.

#2 is a Vexilar LED Flex light.

#3 is a soft case for the LX-1.

i own half a marcum lx5 and an fl-20 with the ultra pack which is mine, and prefer the

vexilar. you can do the same thing with the ducer where it hooks to the system or use the float

i only hook it to the system when i'm hole hopingso i can take it in and out easily

but use the float because then i can move the vex farther away from the hole without putting the stress on the cable

personally i hate dealing with the marcum and all the velcro and stuffing the cable in the case, i dont know thats just my opinion

Without letting the cat completely out of the bag, there is a new Vex arm to be released next season. Far more user friendly than the stand out arm on the Vex-1, Vex-2 Pro Pac, and far more friendly than the standard eye bolt. I worked with product development on it. It has done very well in field tests the last year. I think it will be a hit on the Pro Pac's and Ultra Packs.

If you have a sharp eye...you may catch a glimpse or two of it in the new IFT episodes....or in the extra content section of the IFT still pics. wink

Marcum sells a cover with cleats for an underwater camera. It would probably work for your transducer cable also. At least it would keep stuff from falling through that hole.

Yup..the Marcum camera cover works well for the second hole ducer set. Very stable and eliminates any ducer swing. Great to focus the "Sweet Spot" of the ducer to a particular area.

I was using the 2 hole method,but by accident realized tat if I have the ducer hanging in the center of the hole I stopped getting wrap ups.When the ducer is against the edge of the hole,the line stayed wrapped behind the cable,but when its in the center of the hole the ducer unwraps its self.