• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

transducer hole?

dan z

I sometimes drill two 8" holes side by side for this very reason. Not so much when hole hopping, but when I am on fish, I always do this. I've lost too many Craps n' Eyes that have become tangled in the ducer cord.

I would be cautious about using a 2" hole as I think it would freeze up rather quickly. It might work if you were in a well heated house/porty...

It might also work like a charm, but it would also mean bringing extra gear/tools out on the ice and one more step to complete before sittin' down and fishin'. I have a hard time keeping the stuff I do bring out organized as it is...

Would an electric drill with a 2' spade or forstner bit do the trick... I think it would work well for ice under 12" but might get a bit boggy over that....

I will sometimes drill three holes in a row if I'm fishing out of my two man portable. Then use the middle hole for the ice ducer, which allows you to see both lures on the Vex and still have it out of the way for fishing.

I can second the three hole method. I fish out of a one man fish trap. With the power drill, it doesn't take long to bore that extra hole instead of potentially loosing some of the day's catch because of tangling. One thing to also remember, when you do drill another hole, make sure to have the transducer right at the level of the bottom of the ice. Too far down and you could still run into the problem of tangling, but if you keep that transducer right at or slightly above the bottom of the ice, you should be golden!

We sometimes bring an old Mora hand auger for the transducer hole. I think it's a 4" or 5". And being so small, it's nothing to hand auger thru a couple of feet of ice with it. Three full size holes in a solo shanty can be a bit much, it's a nice option to have a transducer hole, but we don't do it all that often.

As for the above two posters, I agree to a point. The LX5 is a large ducer, but if you place it right in your hole it will not bother you all that much.

Honestly, I can not remember a fish I lost because of the ducer in the hole. I'M SURE ITS HAPPENED!!!! But honestly I cant remember.

Keep the ducer in the hole and not below it, and very little can go really wrong. If you set the hook and know its a goon un', take a foot or a friend and remove the ducer.

I'm a klutz... just watch the HSO shows, by now they should have a huge Bloopers vid of all the stupid things I have done. Stay calm, reel the fish in!

I was looking to not have a big hole in the house you guys that drill three conjoining holes makes me think you must loose a lot done that big ol hole I know I would. I lost a clippers up on the big pond two years ago and I had to fish it up.

Open floor - Leave a mound of shavings or a ridge and you've reduced your chances of losing something in the hole.

I kind of like my Clam 1060 for the suitcase ridges that prevents a lot of stuff from going down the open ice and into the hole.

I remember seeing at the ice show some hole sleeves with a little lip to prevent stuff from going into it.

I think a guy could use one of those thin foam tip-up insulator covers that you use for the classic wooden style tip-ups for use in that third hole set up. They already have a slot built into them and you could just slide your transducer cord through and that would help prevent gadgets and gear from disappearing into the depths.

When I have a dedicated transducer hole, I hardly ever bother cleaning out the hole of slush that well. The big ducer on the LX5 is heavy enough to punch through a fair amount of slush. Some slush is sometimes just enough to give you time to retrieve it before it dives under.

Originally Posted By: zamboni
Buy a MarCum- no huge piece of styrofoam getting in the way grin

Or you can slide the styrofoam off. wink

#1 ice fishing flasher accessory bought by Marcum users, for there Marcums every season is .... a Vexilar float kit. I swear to God...I see it every season guys.

#2 is a Vexilar LED Flex light.

#3 is a soft case for the LX-1.