• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goldeye or Mooneye

Rugbyguy

Rugbyguy, That appears to be a Mooneye. Check the MNDNR site under Herring and Whitefish ID. There is a photo of a Mooneye at the bottom of the page. I have, years ago pulled a mooneye out of the Minnesota River here in New Ulm, so they aren't only in the Rainy River. And actually, another name for the Goldeye is "Shad Mooneye". Phred52

Sorry guys, I disagree, As I see it, The dorsal fin is ahead of the anal fin. If you look at the DNR pics, the Goldeye anal fin looks like it starts a little bit ahead of the dorsal fin. As per the photo, the anal fin is just behind the dorsal, making that fish a Mooneye. Plus, the eyes are too high in the head for a goldeye. Phred52

Basically the identifying factors are the eye color .

Actually the name of this fish is a bit misleading. IMO and from what I've read on IDing these two fish, the iris color of the fish is basically identical therefore not a prime identifying factor. The dorsal vs anal fin placement is probably the best IDing factor. Also mooneyes have an arched/rounded dorsal profile (back) where the goldeyes have a flat dorsal profile.

IMO this is a mooneye, but I'm no expert.

Originally Posted By: dtro
Basically the identifying factors are the eye color .

Actually the name of this fish is a bit misleading. IMO and from what I've read on IDing these two fish, the iris color of the fish is basically identical

IMO this is a mooneye, but I'm no expert.

There was a small river up north (Rice River) where I would catch scads of Mooneyes. None of them had a gold colored eye.

Looking at these pictures more and more I might lean towards Mooneye. But it's really hard to tell.

It's not like a species contest is on the line or anything........oh wait grin