Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flaco651

Ref puts a hit on a QB

12 posts in this topic

SEC Umpire Wilbur Hackett Jr. takes down the Univeristy of South Carolina QB Stephen Garcia in a game vs. LSU this past saturday. The SEC reviewed the play and says it was unintentional. I think otherwise...nice hit though.:D

Too funny and he was in a good position. I figure it was a reflex action preparing himself to get hit.

That was not defending himself. He didn't make any effort to get out of the way it looked like he purposely moved into position to make the block. Either way its hilarious. laugh

The rule is an official is part of the field and we don't need to move to get out of the way, mostly because then we'd probably just be in someone else's way who was going to avoid us. Umpire is the most likely official to get hit on any given play given their location in the middle of the action. The rest of us are generally outside the action and are taught to stay back from the action and move in slowly to avoid getting hit (doesn't always work, I took a spike on the top of my foot Tuesday night in a playoff game and my foot is all swelled up and I can't even tie my shoe the last two days at work but its a good thoery)

This play however is strange to me. He started out in a strange spot on the field (looks anyway like he was very wide for an umpire) and seemed to move into a worse spot as opposed to holding his ground. The flipper; well you've got to protect yourself if you are going to get hit so I don't have a real problem with that, I just don't get why he moved to the spot that put him in that position to need to use it.

Looks worse than it is, but its strange...

That's hilarious! Buffalo Wild Wings could use that in their new commercials where the refs go to replay and ask the bar what to do

He didnt even attempt to get out of the way. We will find out later he bet on the game. wink

Nice open field hit though.

I loved that clip. ESPN couldn't get enough of it. Looks like Hackett misses his college football days a little too much. It wasn't that great of a hit. I just think Garcia went down out of shock at the zebra striking back. gringringrin