• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sportsman/sportswoman hand/skin care

Question

I have tried a bunch of hand creams and other stuff to try to maintain my hands in the wet and the cold few ever worked.

One product I recently found that has really proven itself is called Burt's Bees Hand Salve, great stuff.

My hands crack up and chafe from handling fish and being in and out of the water constantly. They crack to the point that they bleed and make fishing or anything else tougher to manage. After a week of use of the Burt's Bees salve they are all healed up. I was very impressed.

A side benefit that I have seen with Burt’s Bees hand treatment is it appears to waterproof your hands and help to keep them dry and subsequently warmer in the cold. I could very easily see it also protecting your face from windburn or frostbite on the ice or on the sled.

I found a tin of it at Scheels and it ran about $6. A tin will last a long winter and then some, it doesn't take a lot to work. Just a little bit worked into your hands well will last all day.

I have tried a bunch of lotions and balms and this is by far the best in my book. With the ice season on the way I would highly recommend you check it out.

Here is a site I found that shows the product I mentioned.

http://www.rubberducky.vu/Burts_Bees/bb_natural_remedies.html

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]

Heres a little tip for when you get a crack. (cracked fingers)
Take a pumas stone and grind down the callious(SP) around the crack. Put lotion on and then a bandaid, this will keep it moist and stop it from cracking more. It will stop hurting too.

Handling fish tends to suck all the oil out of your skin. When you combine that with wet and cold your hands get whooped on good.

I think it is critical to replace the natural oils in your skin and get a protective barrier in place to allow for healing and protect against further damage.

I tried Palmas stones and sandpaper, just got ruff again and cracked even more. Just like them spurs a guy gets on his heels from boots, they are a pain in the butt too. They will help to thin down old calluses but if you over do it, mmm-boy that is not good either.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]

Give a product called Bag Balm a try. It is made for the chapped udders of cows but it works wonders on fish finger. I guide in Alaska in the summer and after about a week my hands are toast (line cuts, scapes, punctures, chapped, cracked, dry, etc.) The Bag Balm fixes them right up. It is heavy and greasy but is medicated so it softens and heals. If you want a quick fix or your hands need a complete rebuild, put it on heavy at bedtime, install rubber gloves over hands and in the morning you will be amazed at the transformation. Available at better feed and farm stores everywhere. Look for the square green can, about $7.00 I think.

I've been waiting for a reply to come that sounds something like this...

"What kind of eye liner works best for you fellas? Also, what's your favorite color of lipstick? Personally, I'm fond of the luscious lavender, but I've also had good luck with very berry."

Of course, I'd never say anything like that above- I'm far too mature and masculine for that. grin.gif

Hey Scoots you need to try the new Clairol lasting lipstick. Lasts for 8 hours. You could put it on before you go fishing and it would last all day! grin.gif

Also, the udder balm you guys were talking about is great for diaper rash. You can also use a product by Straight Arrow for horses hoofs that will work great on your hands and nails. Available at all fine tack stores.

------------------
Phyl

Hand cream? I use the blood from a muskie and the oil from my outboard. When they crack and chaff, I pour Bacardi 151 on 'em from my thermos - the pain puts me in the zone....HeeHee

Udder Balm for me.

Scoot - Maybeline's my first choice - won't run when I'm running into the wind. Never hurts to give the DNR a little sheep-eyes when they wanna see the expiration date on yer extinguisher, too.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

OK, Girlymen, that is about enough of that #$%!

Try to help but Nooooooooo...somebody has to step in and pic-pic-pic.

Now I don't dare to share that nylon underalls tip Scoot told me about either, he may get picked on too.

wink.gif

See how ya are?

I just must be lucky. My hands have never cracked, although I see it alot on my buddies hands. I work concrete when the water is soft, and I think I just have padded manly hands for the winter. wink.gif
Hey guys! after eddies hands are healed up and smoothe and soft we'll just have to say "maybe he's born with it,.....maybe its maybeline" smile.giftongue.gifwink.gif

hey back water a freind of mine use to work on the alaskan pipe line years back. the guys did wear panty hose under their insulated clothes. this guy was just out of the marines and back from vietnam. it was a hard thing for him to face up to , but he claims it does work!!! ( wonder if they make them in tent size for us fat guys??????) del

Cornhusker's and Bag Balm work good. Are any of you guys into Avon? I was a White Water Oarsmen In Alaska and Silicon Glove by Avon ruled, I mean thats what someone told me. How do you ladies keep your patty hoes up besides a gator belt which isnt an option for a male. Oh never mind I dont like them anyway cuz they make the hair on my legs hurt.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 10-21-2002).]

Hey you fishermen have nothing on the cowboys! They have been wearing pantyhose under their jeans when they ride to stop the saddle from rubbing the inside of their legs raw for years. I heard there is a slight problem because they don't have a hole in the front.

------------------
Phyl

I have used all those remidies you have mentioned.

The corn huskers is a good one (I used it for years) as is udder butter, Burts Bee's is far better in my opinion.

The panty hose thing...well I think I will pass on that, I'll stick to my thermals.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]

fishinphyl, At one time I had a half dozen hayburners and wrangeled for an outfitter in AK. I never heard the pattyhose thingy but Thats Not Where I Sored Up on a long ride.
Next time I see a Cowboy watering the horse Ill look to see if hes just openin the barn door or openin up the whole corral.

I suffer the worse finger infections this time of the year with all the duck hunting, and ice fishing seasons. My fingers hurt so bad I can't touch a thing!
A friend of mine's wife gave me a small jar of Mary Kay's dry face cream. It is reddish/pink in color, and really greasy stuff. Laugh all ya want, but I'll tell ya that I put it on before bed and wake up with fingers that have healed overnight. I've never had that happen with any other creams/lotion.

What's the big deal? Need a hole, cut a hole. rolleyes.gif I herded with the cowboys when I worked in a gold mine in the Colorado rockies about 10years ago. Never heard they did the pantyhose thing. grin.gif Glad I didn't know about it then. Would have been embarrassing to check that out, you know?

Men talking skin care products......
Anyway, here is my .02. I have found that Wool Wax Creme works for me. Gets rid of the cracks and rough spots on the hands and elbows. This stuff isn't greasy or sticky either.
Burt's Bees is a good product also. They make a lip balm that is good too.
A little lotion on the face before you go fishing helps with the wind burn too. Just put the lotion on before handling any bait.
-nunzio

See how well informed you are when you visit this site! From Fisherman to Cowboys we know all the tricks!

The reason they use panty hose instead of the long underwear is that they give the warmth but are not as bulky. That way they can were those sexy tight Wranglers. grin.gif

------------------
Phyl

My hairy legs already itch like mad with thermals long johns on. MAN I can not emagine how crazy those darn nylons would drive me! Nope-nope gona skip that idea eh.

I do like those Sterns fleece wader liners that Fleet Farm has in stock this year. They are light, warm, and breath to let you stay dry. They work great under Gore-Tex rain gear.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]