• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

minn kota trolling motor

senco 1

Question

I have a 1999 Minn kota maxum trolling motor on my R81 Ranger. The prop will not turn until I put it on 30 or 40. I called Minn kota and they said it needs a new circuit board in the foot pedal($150.00). What would you guys do? Get it fixed or just buy a new one. Is there any big inprovements in the new ones that you like over the older models.

1 answer to this question

There's been a ton of improvements since 1999 and there's several models to choose from, including a new model coming out next year with a stronger scissors-mount.

Without knowing what you're looking for in terms of shaft length and power I'd guess you're looking at $480 - $600 for a new motor, in a basic model like the Edge or Maxxum speed coil motor. Prices go up from there as you add features and power.

I don't know what the right answer is, repair or replace? It comes down to how comfrotable you feel with your old motor after you stick $150 into it, and/or how happy you were with the motor when it was working good.

I carry several models of MinnKota bowmounts that would work on your boat, feel free to check them out if you want. My HSOforum address is in my signature.

Hope this helps, good luck getting it resolved.