Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shaunlenway

Marcum VX-1 vs LX-2

19 posts in this topic

I got a buddy who is looking at a couple good deals on a vx-1 and lx-2. Any suggestions on which way he should go? what are the advantages and disadvantages on the two units.

Any info is appreciated.

thanks

I'm not familiar with the LX-2. I have a VX-1.

I would consider this unit an excellent starter flasher. The thing I like about it is the bottom zoom. Granted it does not have the bells and whistles of it's bigger brothers, but for the price it has what I wanted. Marcum quality, easy to operate and read, and most importantly it has bottom zoom.

These are the pros of the VX-1. Someone else will have to chime in about the LX-2.

I had the VX-1 and really liked it. I sold it and got a LX-3 because I couldn't knock out the interference from my cousins FL-18. I needed more power and more IR rejection options. Other than that the VX-1 is really great for the price. Like boilerguy said, the auto locking bottom zoom is the best feature. I would recommend the VX-1.

thanks for the replies. I myself have a vex fl-8se. How do you guys think the 8 and the vx will run side by side. will we be able to knock out most of the interference? I understand my vex runs 400watts and the vx is runnin 600

I fished with a guy using a VX1 and I had an LX 5 and that little machine sure puts out a lot of noise. Was fishing 20 ft with a sand bottom in real clear water. I managed to get the noise off my screen. I also fished next to a guy with an FL8 and the only way I could get rid of that noise was with ear plugs. I dont know how anyone can fish with all the noise that machine makes.

I have the LX 2 and really like it. I thought marcum stopped making the LX 2. I paid 229 for the 2 last fall and it came with the soft case. I have fished next to a FL 12 and a FL 18 with out any problems. Both of those owners now own LX 2's. They both said much easier to read.

marcum made some changes to the VX-1 this year, they increased the peak to peak power from 600 watts up to 1,000 watts, they also improved the interference rejection from 6 points to 12 points of IR, and now it comes with the soft pack, the only downfall is the price also increased. . . old style sold for around $250, cabelas has this years model priced at $349.99

They also added (AT) patent pending on all three MarCum Sonar units which allows for even crisper and sharper detail!

CNY, do you know if we will be able to send in our old style vx-1's and have them upgraded like they did with the true color upgrades they had before? i would really like the higher watts and the 12 points of IR, and if they can do an upgrade do you have any idea what it would cost to have it done?

Not sure about the power output upgrade, but with the LX-3 upgrade to tc - they did not upgrade the additional IR rejection levels.

There are no upgrades available at this time for the MarCum VX-1. Will they offer it in the future, good question but if I hear anything I will let you know.

I know the LX-3 to LX-3(TC) upgrades were offered because of the wealth of LX-3 flashers sales and MarCum giving loyal owners the option of the new TC technology. I was one of the first guys to say get your upgrade early and often as it was going to be offered on a limitted basis. It's been quite a few years since it's initial TC inception on the LX-3 and guys are still wanting to know if there still available. The answer is no however those that are waiting to have there units upgraded around 200 will be taken care of as the new displays come in.

I wonder if the new $350 price point will direct others to look at the Hummingbird ICE-35 at 299.95 first?

For $350 you might as well get a fl-8 or fl-18.

the vx-1 has everything the fl-8 has plus the bottom zoom. . . i'd go with marcum

I say go with the vx-1 if the deal is for the new model. I think they updated it to take the place of the lx-2 in their line up. If it's the old one (last year) and the price for the lx-2 is similar go with the lx-2.

I haven't had a big issue with my vx1 next to the fl8. There might be some interference but it's usually tolerable.

I would go with the new VX-1P, you get the softpack, 400 more watts of power, extra I.R. and patent pending A.T. for increased detail.