• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

question about deep cut in ear

Fish&Fowl

I had my Lab out in SD pheasant hunting this weekend and he got into a barbed-wire fence and put a 2" gash in the end of his ear (almost all the way through). Took him to the vet and got 5 stitches, and since he likes to shake his head all the time and make it start bleeding, the vet wrapped the ear above his head and wrapped it in gauze.

We took the gauze off this morning, but there was a fair amount of it stuck to the area around the wound to where you almost can't see the stitches. We tried soaking it a little (which the vet said I wasn't supposed to do because they should stay dry). Anyone have a dog wound where they left any amount of gauze and just let it be? It seems like it would keep it from healing up right. Thanks for any input!

Just a guess, but I imagine that the same vet would be the one who will remove the stitches so he/she can deal with the gauze stuck to the stitches then. The gauze stuck to the stitches shouldn't prevent it from healing though

My first thought would have been to soak the gauze and gently remove until I read further.

I guess keep it wrapped until follow up appointment, call sooner if it looks infected- swollen, drainage wether bloody or other colors, real warm to hot to touch, or your dog really seems to be having pain in that ear.

Well the vet was in SD and I'm back at school in Crookston now so it will be a different vet, but I've just been keeping an eye on it and it looks fine so far. I might take him in for a quick check tomorrow or Friday just to make sure all looks well, and then they can tell me when the stitches can come out.

I probably don't need to say it, but let the vet take the stitches out then. Had a dog that also had to have a few stitches placed and that didn't work, ended up taking to vet to have them removed, thought I'd save $20 or so, but the dog would not come near me for almost a week. Did end up bringing into the vet to have them taken out. Funny now looking back on it, of course there was no charges for removing the stitches since it was all wrapped into the initial cost.