• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Northern Ducks?

It would appear that some mallards have started to push down. We hit a private field that I have the only access to in Northwestern Minnesota. Hunting was insane!!! Thousands of Mallards, Honkers, and Snows/Blues around us for 4 hours in the morning. Shot a limit of greenheads, honkers, and some snows. Absolutely great!!!! All birds finished nicely in Sundays wind and our farthest shot was 15 yards!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the flight started last Friday. We hunted north of Detroit Lakes around Tamarac Saturday morning and did very well. All ringnecks, but man it was fun.

The added bonus was that it was my labs first duck hunt. It took him two retrieves to figure it out for the most part. Very proud owner that day.

Seems like it was a Thurs, Fri, Sat. thing ahead of the front. A few birds Thurs, lots on Fri, tons on Sat, and now zippo almost none. Lots of ice today even mid sized ponds this morning. I saw alot of birds in central OT County but never saw them pass into Douglas, bad news for my slough. Good reports from West of Douglas Cnty and the Osakis area though.

I heard Christina is GREEN and duck free, anyone got a first hand report?

From TRF...

I'm bankin' that either the counts are completely wrong,or we've got but a smidgin' of what's to come. We've had but one decent flight of Canadian geese move in and out (two Sunday's ago), a few curlytails, but nothing to speak of for noticeable migration.

I've observed, over the last 20 years, that the waterfowl simply do not come down in big numbers until Canada freezes solid, and they get one tremendous, Alberta clipper tailwind. Then they blow thru in a couple days and are gone. This usually happens in mid to late November now.

The birds are getting smarter!

I truly miss the days when the flight would trickle thru MN from early October thru mid-December.

I said before fella's. Does this forecast look like the birds are leaving anytime soon?

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?sk-40&unit=i

Weather patterns have changed and the "corn line" is further north due to the corn prices. With this years low pothole count in many area in the Dakota's they nested in Canada and have stayed there all year. Things can change in a hurry with a NW wind but the greenheads are locked in Canada with the economy being down that means less hunter which means less pressure which mean empty sky's in the lower 48. Don't over think it, it's pretty easy: Food, Weather, Water and Low Pressure. If I were a Greenhead I wouldn't leave until the last bit of open water is gone...

Good Luck!!!

Was out near Sisseton, SD this past weekend, fri/sat/sun were pretty slow, still mostly local birds, but new birds started showing up sunday night and monday we had a great hunt, shot a nice mix of cans/ringers/gads/greenies and buffles. Saw some northern snow/blues and some swans as well.

I agree with Canopy Sam and 1runhotshot.

I watch Canada weather very closely. These birds are up there and they are not leaving until they absolutely have to.

I've also read studies where ducks will wait for the jet stream to shift, catch the upper level winds and go...and fast, right over the upper midwest. It's sure seems like it's been that way for several years, and we just don't see the birds like we used to.

Not many ducks around right now.

My group saw lots of migrators the 1st week of the season. Bluebills, redheads, ringers, Cans (closed), buffleheads and even saw some Tundra Swans. We always see early migrators on this annual trip.

It's a waiting game for the real hearty birds. smirk

Just did a loop in N OT County. Most of the birds that came in end of last week are gone. Ice formed on mid-sized ponds Sun.-Mon. and held all day yesterday, gone today for sure though. I saw one slough with 50 to 75 ringbills and buffles other than that nothing. Last night zig zagged from N OT to N Douglas saw two flocks, 5 ringbills and 12 buffles. This is down from a few hundred last Thursday and over a thousand birds seen last Friday.

Ouch!

I'm thinking about heading out after work, is it worth the effort on a day as clear as today? Some of the guys I normally hunt with kind of chuckle when I tell them I'm going out when theres no cloud coverage.

I witnessed the locals packing up and bailing out last weekend in the areas I normally hunt, haven't seen much new movement come in but its been a few days since i've been able to observe.

I'm thinking about heading out after work, is it worth the effort on a day as clear as today? Some of the guys I normally hunt with kind of chuckle when I tell them I'm going out when theres no cloud coverage.

I witnessed the locals packing up and bailing out last weekend in the areas I normally hunt, haven't seen much new movement come in but its been a few days since i've been able to observe.

Going out any time you can is better than not going and wishing you did. I've had some great shoots one blue sky days, it doesn't always have to be grey skies. You just never know! GO!

Dan- the blue goose a eagle head phase or a normal blue goose? I would find it odd mounting a blue goose but that's my opinion. I think it looks great if its got the eagle head. I had a good flock of snows/blues fly over our spread Thursday morning and a few were in the field next to us, fun to see but didn't try to get them in. The geese are thick in the area we're hunting.

Shot a 3 man limit this morning in a soybean field. Hunting Thief Lake tomorrow morning, I'll see if there's more birds that moved in than last time I hunted there. Good luck tomorrow everyone!