Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
tracker x-2

Any Northern Ducks?

Just wondering what anybody has been seeing for migrating ducks. I have seen a lot more gesse around central/southcenral Mn not much for ducks though. My dad and I are heading out Friday morning to try for some green heads.

Hard to say specifically how far our Sunday ducks came south, but we killed a pintail (saw two other flocks), a mammoth gadwall, and some drake mallards that were very plump. We also killed two bluebills a week ago. This was about an hour north of the cities.

Ray,

That's quite the bag. Don't want to internet scout but am curious if you were on the east, central or western part of the state. I've been hunting about an hour north of the cities on the east side and haven't seen much. Thanks.

A couple of my buddy was out this morning and they said they shot a couple of big mallards and woodies.. must be from up north from what they said.. they were about an hour north east of the twin cities.

East. Did you hunt Sunday? Friday was not so good according to friends that were there. Saturday was worse according to some locals I talked to. Sunday was decent though.

Thought i would put out this quick report,two spoonbills this am.Seen couple mallard singles was a nice wet windy morning going out this fri. maybe the weather will stay nice(crappy).

Cant wait for the weekend. it should be blustery and snowy on Sunday, great day to be in blind all day. things should be heating up in the next week with the colder and windy weather reports grin

I hope the winds change thier isnt very many ducks around here went out to a local slough that usually has a few around and I only shot at one real duck and yes I water pounded it

Yes some birds have moved down. I went hunting yesterday afternoon in the rain from 2-4 oclock and allot of birds were moving. I shot my four mallard limit(all drakes) and sailed a GWT I couldent find.( First duck Iv lost all year that actually came down, my dog couldent find it for some reason) I shot at 5 ducks and hit all five, but shot every mallard out of flocks that wanted to decoy. After I got my mallard limit at 3 I sat there for an hour and watched mallards decoy. At four a bunch of guys started moving in so I left. Two of the drakes still werent fully featherd but the banded drake was, and had very orange feet. I am very in interested to see where this bird came from.(Maybe Canada)The other three mallards dident have very bright feet.

heard alot of shooting on swan yesterday havent been out there though. jumped a slough yesterday and water spanked a giant greenhead w/ 5 curls thinkin its a northern duck it was huge put it in the freezer to mount smile

Quote:
a little north wind would be good! i swear it has blown out of the south for 2 weeks !

I have heard reports of strong NW winds coming later in the week!!!

PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't get me wrong I have been Seeing a few birds but it sure is hit or miss, and one must do alot of scouting to be successful

Absolutley dead this morning in central WI. Didn't hear a shot fired by anyone and only saw one duck! This is a section of river that we consistentley do well on too, so I don't know what was up. Worst day of duck hunting ever.

From my last couple expirences in the blind and from hearing multiple reports like that I'd say its safe to asuume the locals have gotten smart and know the safe water and the Northern birds have yet to come.

For infomation regarding the feet being orange it is a chemical change in the bird at this time of year it has no bearing on northern bird ot whatever. I leared this from a waterfowl biologist. As for my year hunting has been slow. A few mallards and lots of woodies. I have hunted northwest WI and MN and about the same. I just seam to be picking the wrong spot. 1 day nothing so I move to where they were working then they show up where I was prevously. I will figure it out yet.

I seen a good push of ducks last night while bow hunting in west central MN. All looked to be divers and they were all flying from the NE going to the SW from 6 - 6:30.

There has been some strong reports coming out of Clinton,Graceville and Breckenridge of large numbers of all types of ducks check out the DU migration map for more details check the cities I named above....

Yesterday the Biologists and wardens out of Tamarac wildlife refuge said the Ringies and Mallard number's are down about 40% from last week. However i think we are close...middle of the next week.

i was on swan the other day and there was no big #s of ducks around at all some divers but not much for other ducks i think sunday night winds 40 mph out of the north will move some ducks down and i am takeing a half day off on monday to get out for the night hunt i think it will be really good

Those ringers may have moved out of Tamarac. But not far! Saw good numbers on Thursday mainly ringnecks, and excellent numbers friday mixed divers lots of bluebills. Birds were spotty and scouting would be a requirement, but the results excellent.

i was on swan the other day and there was no big #s of ducks around at all some divers but not much for other ducks i think sunday night winds 40 mph out of the north will move some ducks down and i am takeing a half day off on monday to get out for the night hunt i think it will be really good

I wouldn't count on it, but good luck! Monday will most likely be better than Sunday. As I'm looking right now..... NOTHING is freezing, and NOTHING but rain (no snow)!!

Good luck to all, PLEASE be safe!

I was in Park Rapids this weekend and the Ring Necks/Ring Bills flight was crazy awesome! Friday's weather brought them down on Saturday!!!