• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy Placement

muzzy

Hey all,

I'm sure this has been discussed here before but here is what happened on the eve of yesterday. Buck decoy (1 sided 8pt.), 20 yards of me crosswind or downwind for the most part...decoy facing me. Bedding area behind the decoy and myself and behind me is an alfalfa field and Im on the edge of the field. I placed the deke in a 10-15 yard wide trail that runs from the bedding area to the field. 8pt. buck walked parallel to the decoy not seeing it heading towards the field, I grunted and immediately the buck saw the decoy, circling around the backside of it and stopping behind it. Closest he got to me was 35 yards but too much brush. I grunted softly twice which I think I shouldn't have done that just made him slowly walk away.

I know every buck reacts differently depending on their aggression or pecking order. I am new at decoying and read different opinions on positioning but was needing advice by experience as to what I should do differently. Move the decoy farthere away? Facing away or broadside? Scent or no scent? Decoy in the Alfalfa field? Just keep doing but shut up?

Either way, I'm having fun watching the reactions of this deer as well as other does and fawns. Makes things really interesting!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

If you have a buck decoy out, a buck coming to the decoy should usually come toward the head end (to compare antlers). So your decoy should be placed so that if the buck comes nose to nose with your decoy you will have a broadside/slightly quartering away shot. With a doe decoy the buck should typically approach it from the rear end (that's the end he cares about).

Also, they'll also try to circle downwind of the decoy to smell it, and you don't want them to smell you if they do that.

Thanks for the tips all...I think I will continue with how I had it facing me again but will have to hold back with the "extra" calling. I figure if he sees it, don't need to do nothing else. I am going to add some scent this time as well as I left it in the truck before on that day...(always something to leave behind!) Gonna give it a try this evening...can't wait!

I was watching a show on the Outdoor channel about decoy placement, and they said you should face the decoy towards you because a mature buck will usually approach it from the side and then walk out in front of the decoy, showing himself off. This will give you a broadside shot.

And have you guys seen that deer decoy commercial where the big buck approaches the decoy from the side, and then charges right into the body of the decoy?

I've never tried using a decoy, just what I've seen on TV....