• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sturgeon Meeting

Ralph Wiggum

Just a quick reminder that there is a meeting tomorrow about the proposed changes to the fall lake sturgeon season on the St. Croix. The major change is shortening the season from 6 to 4 weeks.

Quote:

Open House - New Regulation proposal for Lake Sturgeon

Date: 10/22/2008

Time: 7 PM to 8 PM

Location: Chisago & Washington Co.: St Croix River and Lake St Croix

Washington County Gov't Center

Room 100 A & B

14949 62nd St

Stillwater

More Information: Contact Jerry Johnson at 651-259-5770.

The season was shortened in WI recently. I did not understand why until I went to the river to give it a shot myself. There were people packed along the bank and it looked like each had three lines in the water. There were more vehicles in the lot from IL than WI. Sturgeon fever.

The season was shortened in WI recently. I did not understand why until I went to the river to give it a shot myself. There were people packed along the bank and it looked like each had three lines in the water. There were more vehicles in the lot from IL than WI. Sturgeon fever.

Yes, that is why they are proposing shortening the St. Croix season. A lot of us sturgeon fishermen are in favor of keeping or even extending the season on the St. Croix but allowing only C&R.

I would not be apposed to a longer C&R season. I don't see me keeping one, but fishing for them is a blast. Why not just raise it to be a 60" limit or allow you to only get one every five years or something to that effect.

I think the season is long enough. 5 weaks is plenty long to harrass these fish without harvesting them. I would be happy with a 60 inch tag. It would not make sence to make the rules more stricked than Wisconsin but it is smart to match theirs.

I would like to see it udjusted so it will end when the Walleye bite picks up. grin

Well the proposal is to limit the season to 4 weeks, which is pretty short, in my opinion.

From what I’ve read, these fish have a pretty low mortality rate even when caught multiple times. The only thing that harms the population is overharvest, and polluted water. Adult fish really have no predators other than man.

Because of the overharvest in WI we now need to amend our laws here. I think that’s fine, but why restrict Catch and Release? Are there any studies that show that C&R harms the population? I bet if C&R was allowed the entire year, and spread out, the fish would actually see less pressure.

While I enjoy the heck out of Catfishing and being on the MN river, when it comes to pure enjoyment, nothing beats the fight of a Sturgeon.

So, I’ll stick to eating Panfish and Walleyes.