• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

03' Yam Kodiak rear brakes sticking

MIKE IN lINO III

I've recently noticed that my right brake handle was sticking and I can feel that the rear brakes are dragging. When I look in the manual it says to bring to a dealer, I'd rather not if it is something I can adjust myself. I have adjusted the rear wing nuts but it doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas?

Thx,

Mike

Have you tried spraying lubricant on your linkages and check to see no rocks or mud etc. are jamming them up . If I had your e-mail I maybe able to send you a link to a workshop manual you can download . Way more in depth than an owners manual .

TD

Ours did this too. Never really found the cause but I just finished replacing the rear brake shoes. My best guess is that we got water/mud inside the brake and the cam that applies the brakes was sticking. The cam is attached to the shaft that goes through the backing plate from where the cables are attached. I tried everything to free it all up first. Then it started working better. Not sure what I lubed to make it better. It's really easy to pull the rear brake apart and check it. All you need is a jack and a few wrenches/sockets. No special pullers or anything. I would for sure start at the rear brake and work out from there.

I tried to take off the rear brakes but could not loosen the acle nut. Is there a trick to it? Yes I took of the cotter key.

Either heat the axle nut up or cut it off. they are pretty inexpensive anyways

remember to put some anti-sieze on the threads so you dont have this problem in the future when you go to do any work.