• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rutting?

KOTTKE

Anyone seeing any rutting activity? Just talked to a friend of mine and swears he watched a large buck breed a doe 3 times last night at about 70yrds. She came in with 6 other does and he pushed her away from the others, and chased her around for about 15mins befor she stood for the first time. I'm seeing a few scrapes and rubs, but the does i'm seeing still have their fawns with them.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen a fresh scrape yet this season. confused Weird.

Last weekend was spent in Ely. Few rubs but nothing else beside fresh clumps of droppings.

The weekend before was Emily and pretty much the same thing.

Back to the weekend of the 4th in Southern MN there was one buck working a doe but again, no scrapes and few bucks seen.

I'll be back down to Southern MN this weekend and I'm expecting SOMETHING by now. smile

This past weekend in North Dakota, the rutting activity has really increased. Bucks fighting on camera, bucks chasing does and rattling is working well. Many rubs and scrapes. It won't be long now and the woods will be running wild.

Those big boys will now start to get as careless as they ever will.

The bucks in my area are DEFINETLY chasing! Saturday morning I had buck chasing and grunting a doe around my stand for quit some time but because it was way to early in the morning (dark) I couldn't even take my bow out of the bow holder. It was pretty cool to hear and see right below my stand though.

mr

I'll be back down to Southern MN this weekend and I'm expecting SOMETHING by now. smile

Well yesterday's weather didn't help increase my hunting time. crazy I left after a short sit in the morning.

The deer were coming out late and going to bed early so we didn't see many in the daylight on Sat/Sun. My buddy was hunting since Thursday and saw many, including a group of 4 bucks at once on Friday night. No shots.

Without tramping through the ENTIRE area, I checked known bedding and scraping areas and found NOTHING! Not a whisper of a deer. I don't know if that has to do with the new local guy dropping in too much or if it's just an odd year.

Sunday night though, my buddy did scout out his area further though and found the mother lode of deer sign about 80-100 yds from his stand. Lots of rubs and some good scrapes.

I guess it's about time and I was just enough off to have a snoozer weekend. sleep

Good luck all.

I am planning an all day sit Thursday and Friday. One is a funnel and the other is next to a clear cut. Hopefully they will be moving. I will have my scents out there and also my Tru Talker doing some grunting. Hope he comes walking by.

I would say this upcoming weekend with some cooler weather the bucks could go gangbusters chasing does. I have seen a bit of rutting activity around Lake Superior, however this is with a low pressure city deer. I will report back after this weekend on some wild woods deer. Cannot wait, I haven't had time to get out bowhunting until now, need to get out and shoot something.

The rutt in SEMN isn't happening yet. I went out tonight and one of THE big guys was standing in the field. [PoorWordUsage] was that all about???????? Eating alfalfa, alone, at 4:00 in the afternoon. I couldn't believe it. He saw my truck come over the knob and took off like a bat. Later 4 does came through, no buck along with. I have seen the early signs of scrapes, but nothing more than just a few, nothing like last year when the rutt was full blown. I guess I have to give it more time, but man I feel like we are cutting it close to gun season this year. On a bright side, I took every morning off next week . I can sit until about 9:00 which would be 10:00 this week with daylight savings time. So hopefully I can punch that tag sometime soon.

Sat tonight and didn't see much, saw a buck about 250 yards away trotting across a cut bean field, heading towards a river bottom, he was definately on a mission however. It's gotta pop here soon where I am...

I have sat the last 2 days morning and night, 3.5 hrs each time and all I am seeing is several does. I am not even seeing the little bucks we have been letting pass for the last month. A few rubs but no scrapes yet. Tried a little rattling and all I got was a coyote that I managed to miss. mad

lol nice...u have coyotes come to rattling to huh...i thought it was a fluke..it's happened a few times though.

seen a few nice rubs and only 1 scrape so far...i checked an area that normally has 5-6 scrapes the size of the kitchen table and nadda....3 of the rubs and the 1 scrape is about 30 yards to the right of 1 of my stands so thats kinda nice.

for actually seeing rutting activity all i seen so far is a bedded doe by my stand got up and she went toward the field and a buck started breaking sticks in the thicket and came out following her all the way to the field.

i have been noticing alot more deer dead on the side of the road...thats what i always look for...my neighbor hit one, seen a dead one out on the road by my house, seen a few going down the highway so they are moving more and more.

i think according to the moon this year was supposed to be a late rut? if thats the case then it kinda looks like its holding up to be true.

I went bow hunting last night and saw 3 does and not a buck in sight. This morning before work I drove to the other side of the creek where I hunt approximatly 200yds from my stand and saw the buck I passed on 1.5 weeks ago. He was with a doe and his neck was sweeled up and all bristley looking. Looked alot better now with that neck swelled up...lol. He is just barely out to the outside of the ears and has hardly and height to him. I tried rattling last night and didn't have anything come in to it. I will try again on fri night. They need to get the corn out around my spot. It will get better as soon as the neighbors get the 1000+ acres of corn out. Good Luck all!

Still working on the article in my latest Field & Stream, but they have good read on THE 8 days to hunt this season.

They claim today is day one, in relation to the pre-rut and new moon phase. Interesting thing though - the author claims you should NOT be rattling at this time. The majority of the sparring and fighting is NOT happening now. Wait until about the 3rd week of Nov.

It is just an article, but it's laid out nicely and I can find some logic in it.

my cams are showing that bucks have started checking their scrapes nightly about three days ago. when this happens it's about 5-7 days after that when they start moving during the day. that puts the day time action to start about the 1st week of Nov. big surprise eh.

Wanderer, I read that article as well and I disagree with the author. At least, from the deer that I have seen this past 2 weeks. Maybe hardcore beatin and bangin rattling is a little overboard, but this time of year is perfect for a little sparring with the rattling antlers. Called in a six the other night and had a 6 and an 8 sparring for about a half hour last week and while they were going at it 2 more bucks came out and began pushing and shoving. I do look foreward to this week of the year each and every season as things really start getting fired up. I assimmilated the useful info and was entertained by it but won't use it as gospel. Good luck all, stick a big one!

Tunrevir~