• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shrinkwrapping a Boat

Moonshine

Question

I have never had a boat shrinkwrapped and am considering it this year. I have a secure place to store it outside and am wondering what the shrinkwrapping protects. Does it keep mice and critters out? That is my main concern.

I have always put my boats in stoarge, however run into a problem around timing of putting it away and taking it out. I prefer to put it away late and get it out early (Feb-March). My down time is maybe three months.

Any other exposures to worry about with leaving it outside?

11 answers to this question

No, it wont keep critters out. Even if it was sealed very tight, mice will still chew through the wrap. If the shrinkwrapper says it will, ask for a guarantee in writing. Using drier sheets is a good method for pest control. Moth balls work better but then you have that smell to deal with... YUK!

Other than that, most of the time snow will slide right off, but you still need to keep an eye on it.

boat fixer is right. There still going to get into the wrap. The nice thing about it is that it will keep more and more dirt and stuff like that, but mice will still get in.

Dont use mooth balls, use dryer sheets, like bounce.

Thanks guys!

It dawned on me recently that it seems kind of odd that guys with fishing boats are all concerned about inside storage. I live by the St.Croix river and you see a lot of very expensive boats sitting on blocks with only shrinkwrapping to protect them.

If I can just shrink wrap my boat and place it in a carport, then that should be fine I assume. I can get at it when I want as well.

This is true. I like to keep mine right next to the garage, so the first sign of open water I am ready! Or making that spring run to the great lakes behind the breakers. This is more fun than using a chainsaw to make trolling lines in the ice!!

If a guy need the garage space and can't justify dishing out $$$ to store elsewhere, the shrink wrap is the way to go.

It is a bargain in comparison to most quality storage facility rates. For instance, at Gander Mountain in Fargo, they charge $12 a running foot, and winterize as well. I see it as high as $21 a foot in some areas...but it pays to shop around and see what type of winterizing packages are included or upgrades offered.

Well worth it when you crunch the numbers and are laching time or space.

I was told using peppermint spray works to keep them out as well. No mice so far using it. Not sure if it is the spray or just dumb luck, but it sure makes the boat smell nice blush

My father-in-law one year sealed up his brand new runabout too tight when storing it outside. He must have had some moisture trapped inside, when he pulled the cover off in the spring, every inch of the interior was covered with black mildew. I think the mother-in-law cried when she saw it frown. Took him few days of elbow grease, but was able to get it cleaned up pretty good.

Don't forget to get under the motor cover, could get ugly if they were to build a nest in there.

A wad of steel wool or an SOS pad keeps mice from entering a vented area like a drain plug hole or a exhaust port. Mice don't have a lot of incentive to get into an engine except for the intakes on ATV's, cars, stuff like that...so they can build a cozy nest from the air filters...that is a common deal. Steel wool in the port works well to keep them from spots like that.

A handy tip is if you do these port closers or whatever do a info winterizing checklist card up and put the info on the card and add it to the key of the rig...that way you get a reminder when you bring it out of storage and don't forget to add oil...unplug something, add coolant...stuff like that that will ruin your day. Only takes a minute and can save you huge $$$ latter on.