• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skunk vs Dog

night bite

Here's a tonic I got from a Vet. in SD:

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap

Mix these ingredients in a bucket and wash pet with the solution. Rinse thoroughly, then follow with another bath using a moisturizing pet shampoo.

Good Luck

The peroxide method works great. I read that the tomato just masks the smell but doesn't break down the oil to remove the smell. I was in ND and I got hit by a skunk and got to ride in the back of the truck until I could change clothes. I am trying to get the stink out of my hunting pant by using clear soda like sprite. I read that on the internet somewhere. I did not want to use the peroxide as it would bleach out my pants. Glad I had a spare pair.

Both my dog and cat have got skunked; I ended up doing the peroxide, dawn dish soap, a pet shop treatment, and tomato juice. It still takes a while, especially when they get wet. Don't get the peroxide in the eyes. My cat took a direct blast to the face; he couldn't see and swallow. Washing a blind, choking, big old cat is tricky...

Here's another tonic provided by the same veternarian; this one is not for living beings.

1 cup bleach or vinegar

1 tablespoon liquid dish soap

2.5 gallons warm water

Caution: Use this tonic only on non-living things

Luvs, thanks for the tip. I will wash them after the sprite soak but I ain't gunna drink that sprite heh heh. I will try the washing soda next as I am not too confident on the sprite deal.

I bought a bottle of stuff from Cabelas last year called Petastic Skunk Odor Remover to leave in the suburban, well I was glad I did. My oldest lab got in a skunk one night at camp, I took her for a swim, then put on some rubber gloves and worked the stuff into her coat real well and by morning it was gone, the next day we drove home with the dog in the back of the sub and you could not smell a thing. It was a quart bottle for around $12.00 and it really worked.

The peroxide recipe is a great treatment. My dog was sprayed four times in her first year of hunting and two more times since then ( none in the last three years though). I used the peroxide treatment every time and you could have let her in the house the same day of treatment if you really had to. One trick is to try and bathe them in the treatment as soon as you can after they have been sprayed. Just that much more effective.