• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Soft water season now closed

machohorn

My boat is still water ready and will be for at least a couple more weeks.

A quick question for you guys. Do I need to worry about the motor freezing up at night if I drop the motor all the way down for a minute or two when I get off the lake? Does that drain all the water out of it? Or should I be doing something else? So far it hasn't been cold enough to worry about it.

I never have, but it's up to you. All I have ever done is lower the motor and let the water drain. I have not had any problems during fall fishing or duck hunting, and there have been some cold days. When I get home if I don't put the boat in the garage I will lower the motor again. Just remember to pick it up before you leave again.

I used to just drain the motor til I had water freeze in the water pump housing and crack both sides of my lower unit enough that oil was leaking down both sides of the unit. After that I always drain and start for a few seconds to flush the water from the pump. That was over ten years ago and I have not had any problems with water pumps going out from starting dry(for only a few seconds) and no more freeze ups either. On a side note JB weld is awsome stuff. I sanded the cracks and applied JB weld and the thing is still working today with no leaks as far as I know (I sold it a few years later).

For sure! The weeds have died off considerably and the water has become much clearer....I've been finding several fish stacked up along shallow weed edges and docks. Don't forget your topwater lures.... wink

I'm in the boat until the ramp is iced in.

Best time of the year. Have the lake all to yourself

and once you find the big one's there's alway more than

one. Have fun guys.

Ditto. No lines at the ramp, no water skiers, few if any pleasure boaters, fewer people in general. Fall and winter are great times to be out...if you have the right cloths!