• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

best atv on the ice

lookingforluck

There are so many brands out there and so many used ones for sale ( I paying for any new vehicle / boat / atv ) because of value lost after you leave the lot. just trying to narrow down the search, I like the idea of machines without belts (SHAFT DRIVE). What brands have shaft drives and/or SRA?

Thanks for the great discussion, LFL

It's getting tougher to find a machine with SRA. Even the smaller machines are going with IRS.

Yamaha SRA Machines per manf. HSOforum:

Grizzly 350 4wd belt/auto/shaft

Big Bear 250 2wd

Suzuki SRA machines:

King Quad 400AS 4wd belt/auto/shaft

King Quad 400FS 4wd manual/shaft

Ozark 250 2wd manual/shaft

Kawasaki SRA machines:

Prairie 360 2wd/4wd belt/auto/shaft

Brute Force 650 4wd available in both IRS and SRA, belt/auto/shaft

Bayou 250 2wd manual/shaft

Honda SRA machines:

Recon 250 2wd(229cc) Elec. shift manual/shaft

Rancher 420 2wd/4wd manual/shaft (many variants available)

Foreman 475 2wd/4wd manual/shaft (many variants available)

Rubicon 500 4wd hydraulic auto (many variants available)

Polaris SRA machines:

Trailboss 330 4wd belt/auto/shaft

Arctic cat SRA machines:

nothing worth listing (250 mid-size machine)

There's more out there by manufacturers such as Kymco, but I wanted to at least get the major players out there. Some of the machines will have many different variations of the same machine.

Some will have power steering optional (Suzuki now has PS for '09) some offer it standard. Some people may ask why would you need power steering on an ATV. Well, not really to help it steer easier, but to help eliminate bump steer. Yamaha and Honda also have models with power steering (EPS).

Many have also jumped on the bandwagon with EFI.

All of the machines I listed above are considered Class I ATVs in MN.

I know you questioned the Polaris Rangers and many have highly recommended them. The reason being is they are incredibly versatile. But they fall into the Class II ATVs.

Class II includes:

Polaris Ranger (excluding the RAZR)

Yamaha Rhino

Kawasaki Teryx

Kawasaki Mule

Arctic Cat Prowler

Honda Big Red

There are also many other manufacturers of Class II ATV's, but again, I wanted to list the major players.

If you have any questions beyond what's been posted, feel free to ask here or hop down to the ATV forum and we'll be sure to help you out.

I'd take that bet. I plow snow banks 5 feet high with my sportsman 4x4 with no chains, no problem! I've tried with my dad's 2wd honda with chains and the thing would not even push a foot of snow without getting stuck.
plowing =/driving through the snow on ice.

there was along thread last winter that would disagree with you.

I use my ATV almost exclusively for ice fishing and plowing, and I find the Polaris Sportsman 6 x 6 to be a great machine. Besides the powerful traction and pulling capabilities afforded by the 6 x 6, the box on the back of the unit allows me to carry a lot of gear.

what is the difference between a class I and class II (legally, licensing cost, etc.)?

Thanks, LFL

PAGE 6 Spells out the differences.

But to sum it up:

Class I: Under 800cc and 900 lbs

Class II: under 800cc and 900-1500 lbs.

Not all trails are open to Class II ATvs. But since your main focus is ice fishing, this might not be a concern of yours.