• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Awesome PIC (Graphic weak tummys beware)

ikeslayer

If you set your flash to 2nd-curtain shutter synchronization on an SLR camera you can get effects similar to this. I have a number of times. Not sure about trail cams.

However, there's no tension in the animal, as there would be if this was shot immediately post-impact. Also, do you get that much blood at the entry point the instant after impact? Remove the background from your mind's eye for a moment and change the perspective and what this really looks like to me is someone took a shot of the dead deer lying on the ground and superimposed it against the current background.

Just IMO.

My trail camera does that when its cold. I get a "ghost image" its not uncommon.

What it looks like to me is that someone shot a buck and it ran in front of his trail camera, but that doesn't explain the jump in the air. I don't know if I've ever seen a buck do that when its hit. I do know this, it would be darn hard, and just plain lucky, to get that picture on film. It's still kind of a cool pic.

I have seen this pic around too, everyone likes to yell photoshop but is not the case. A lot of digital cameras have a slower shutter speed like stated earlier, the deer was moving so the light from the tree appears visible through the deer. Anyone with a little photoshop skill would actually make this photo look more real that what the game camera produced.

I agree with Steve, it looks like a picture of a dead deer that was superimposed on to the background. Also, the blood on the deer seems to defy gravity. The blood on the deer looks like it was from running after being shot, not an initial jump.

The ghosting actually is what makes this image look more real to me. I've seen the effect before.

I'm starting to re-evaluate a bit on one other point. I didn't see the right side of the image initially because my screen cut it off, but looking closer at that, it appears there actually is some grain (cracked corn?) in the air. It's hard to tell that it's in the air instead of on the ground, but the ground grain is sharp, and the blurry look of some of the grain that might be in the air implies motion like if the buck leapt to do the heart-kick right from the pile of grain.

I also don't like to automatically assume a compelling shot has been photoshopped.

The deer still looks relaxed to me rather than in the midst of strenuous motion like the heart-kick (I've photographed a lot of running, jumping deer, all of which showed the strain in their muscles and pose), and that seems like a lot of blood for a broadhead entry point and in a strange configuration. I also see blood on the off foreleg, which implies an exit wound, but it looks like the arrow might be long enough to have that much sticking out the entry side and still allow the tip to protrude from the other side a bit.

The grain in the air is what's making me lean a bit more toward an undoctored image, but I'm not leaning too hard in that direction. Still a few things that look unnatural to me.

Still all just IMO, still up in the air for me (if you'll pardon the pun). gringringrin

OK, I change my post and am going back to my original theory. Someone shot this buck and it took off running in front of the trail camera. How did the camera take the picture if it was running , because we all know about trigger speed? Well, look at the picture and you can see the back of the doe that set off the motion detector, the buck was right behind it, it took the picture of the buck, after the doe set it off. I say true pic, very lucky. I have my trail cams set up and could see this scenario happening. I always think of it the other way. I can see a picture getting taken of a deer I'm about to shoot, but I guess it could happen the other way to.

The tail is up in the air, not too many dead deer can pull that off. I have seen many deer jump, I have also shot 1 buck that thought he was in a movie and reared back on his hind legs, like an old western steed!

It looks authentic to me. The deer in the background also looks to be running, the flash "pattern" appears accurate, and the blood spray would indicate arterial spray or spray form the heart, which would be almost instantanous. Intresting photo!

I haven't ween a lot of trail cam pictures. Would the eye be gray like that while it's still alive? I know they gloss over after death but aren't they dark while the critter is still kicking?

Cicada, the eye is reflecting the flash, which it will do dead or alive.

fishin58, I agree dead deer can't elevate their tails, but of course if it ran and fell over and died, the tail could easily have been elevated at that point and just stayed that way.

I'm still on the fence.

Good discussion! smilesmile

OK, I change my post and am going back to my original theory. Someone shot this buck and it took off running in front of the trail camera. How did the camera take the picture if it was running , because we all know about trigger speed? Well, look at the picture and you can see the back of the doe that set off the motion detector, the buck was right behind it, it took the picture of the buck, after the doe set it off. I say true pic, very lucky. I have my trail cams set up and could see this scenario happening. I always think of it the other way. I can see a picture getting taken of a deer I'm about to shoot, but I guess it could happen the other way to.

How can you tell me that is a doe? All I see ia a leg and a tail.

I didn't read all of Mr Foss's posts, as usual.... grin but other than maybe some corn in the air it looks like dirt kicked up from the front hooves. Cool pic whatever the case, and if real that buck was smoked. Either case its a believable pic, certainly could happen unless I'm missing something obvious.

Is that more than 2 gallons of corn on the ground?

I understand the blood on the inside of the leg near the exit hole but not the blood on the entrance side. I have taken many deer with a bow and rarely have I ever seen that much blood on the entrance side of a arrow shot deer and still running.

Looks like a heart lung shot deer and I also question that the flag would be up with a hit like that.

I would also think the hind quarter muscles might be flexed a little for the landing and not so relaxed. To me, something just doesn't add up.

The other thing I question is it does look like it was hit in the heart, lung area and that buck should have his mouth open and breathing hard as he runs gasping for air.

If he is jumping, would his front feet not be ready for a landing and not tucked in? Also. why would his ears be dropped and the tail still up? If he is hit as hard as it looks, I would think that with the legs folded, ears dropped, that the flag would also be dropped.

I don't like to question any pictures but this one I have to say it's questionable at best.