Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WyoChris

Power Augers continued

21 posts in this topic

Im also shopping for a power auger. I am leaning towards an 8 incher. Any reason to go bigger and get a 10 incher? Has anyone ever caught a fish that couldn't fit through a 8 inch hole?

i have a 9 inch and have used a 10 inch before. If you are prone to dropping things, the 10 inch seems to be a magnet for what ever you drop. Second, if you have small kids that like to fish a 10 inch is a little dangerous. Other then that you can pull most fish unless you are into trophy lakers or trophy pike you should have no problem with the 8 inch blade.

Go with eight, you should have no problem with that. The 10's leave holes that not only children can fall in, but adults as well. Big holes. Takes more power to get down. I've never needed more than 8".

There are certain times when a 10” hole is really nice. If you mostly fish for Walleyes and Panfish, you won’t need the 10. If you targeting big Pike and Lake Trout, mainly, then I would say the 10.

For the rare occasions you need a bigger hole than the 8, there’s always the option of drilling an adjacent second hole.

Tens are nice, but not needed most of the time.dtro is right about the lake trout,and northern fishing. i have lost big fish because I rushed them up the hole,and not because I only had a 8inch hole!!

The 9" is actually 9.5 OD. I like the 9 over the 10" (10.5 OD) for reasons mentioned and they will work better with a round tip-up like a Frabill Thermal Pro...a nice tight fit.

The only time I use a ten is when I am targeting trophy pike and big Canadian lakers, as hard as |I have searched I am yet to find a fish that willl not fir up a ten inch hole. Other then that I use an eight. Reason is nothing bigger then a eight is needed and panfish can get loose and turn around in a ten inch hole where as a eight it is a bit more difficult for them to spin around. It also surprises me how much more room I have in my little portable by using an eight verses a ten.

I've got a 10 inch...I like it because I've got the extra room for the Vex or camera in the same hole. Other than that, I think I'd roll with a 9 inch next time. Just for the reason Ed mentioned.... I can't use my round Frabill tip ups in my 10 inch auger hole.

They maybe already have something on the market, but I'm surprised I haven't seen something with bigger (rounder) tip ups to accommodate the 10 inch auger holes

as many have stated, the only real time you would need at 10" is if you are after trophy pike or lakers...

For the most part an 8" is safer will cut faster and is less weight to haul around.

Depends on how much stuff you like to loose. Like has been said previously, the hole is like a magnet. A Size 10 boot will fit in a 10 inch hole no problem. grin

A 10" is nice for sight fishing panfish or trout, otherwise an 8" is the way to go.

My $.02,

Huey

Depends on how much stuff you like to loose.

Thats for sure! It is amazing just what will fit down a ten inch hole. Latern tops, stove burners...LX5 Marcum flasher. blush

If you're lazy and don't feel like pulling your transducer out of the hole everytime, then a ten inch hole is nice to have. Otherwise 8 inch is fine and having to drill extra hole on open floor is just a little more elbow grease.

A 10" hole will also be very tough to pull a size 13 boot back out of, for a second I thought that was going to be the end of me. IMO a 10" hole is most beneficial when the temps are very cold, and your hole is freezing shut on you. Another good item to get for avoiding that is the insulation covers. I am not a big fan at all about the round thermal tip-ups, with some modifying they are ok though.

I generally drill two 8' holes close to one another so that I never have to worry about the line getting wound around the ducer/cord... Plop it in and forget about it. It is a tight fit if you try and squeeze all that into a 8' hole.

A 10" hole will also be very tough to pull a size 13 boot back out of, for a second I thought that was going to be the end of me.

IMO a 10" hole is most beneficial when the temps are very cold, and your hole is freezing shut on you. Another good item to get for avoiding that is the insulation covers. I am not a big fan at all about the round thermal tip-ups, with some modifying they are ok though.

The fish have a lot more room to turn and swim off on you with a 10" hole but it also seems that when pulling a bigger crappie up through an 8" hole they will bump the bottom of the hole and come loose also.

Personally I say go with the 10" cause yes I have heard one story of a big northern that wouldn't fit through.

Is it legal to have two 8" holes joining each other? I thought the law was a 10" maximum hole?

The one thing I did last year was the best ever. Forget about the size. I traded in my gas for an electric. No more smoke in the ice house, faster, quieter and easyer starting. No gas to haul and smell up the bait. Only con is the battery that I haul. I use a large marine deep cycle and have yet to run out of power. Drill hole all day. When it is 20 below and you have to drill holes, it's nice to do it inside in the heat with doors closed.

I'm sure some will disagree, but had 3 gas before I switched.

Is it legal to have two 8" holes joining each other? I thought the law was a 10" maximum hole?

Maybe

I know they recently changed the law that you can fish out of a spear hole, so I would assume to 8" holes would be ok.

Yeah, it would be sweet to have an electric 8" for inside the permanent. I used on one time and it was slick for keeping the doors closed and heat cranking when you first get to the shack and aren't really bundled up for the cold yet.

Same trip with that auger my buddy went to drill a hole outside. He slipped on glare ice while carrying the deep cycle and auger. Let's just say it was time to purchase a new battery after that.

Oh, ok. I would think if they allow you to fish out of a spear hole than you would be just fine using two 8" ajoining.

I change my opinion then. If I were to buy a new auger it would probably be a 8" strikemaster lazer. Heck even drilling two side by side holes would be 5 times as fast as my 10" 2hp. chipper.

Go with a 8 or 9 inch and if you think you need a bigger hole just cut another hole that over laps the 1st hole. I do this all the time and use that extra room for my ducer wich always seems to be in the way if I dont do this.

Like Dietz says a 8" will be lighter and cut faser and be a tad bit cheaper. 8" replacement blades will also be a bit cheaper.

Id rather have 10" holes but I already owned a 6" and 8" lazer hand augers and now with the Icegator It maxes out at 8" but 2 holes overlapping and a little chizle work and there isnt a fish that cant be brought up thru it Ill never own anything else but a gator from now on if they ever do make a larger icegator Ill be first in line to get one Quality equipment!!! they also do have an adapter box to connect to the 12 volt battery you can have in the shack or off car truck or atv battery Ill be looking for that from santa this year!