• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Making your own jig heads

Mike Stark

I make/made my own jigs/sinkers for years, not so much anymore, if you got one of the bottom pouring pots, you can pour a hundred jigs in no time, which I use to do, but really I think the best is buy a mold with multible sizes make about 25 of each and your usally set for the season, if not make a few more of size you like, I use to use the vinyl paint and hand dip the jigs, first primer them in white, then dip in whatever color you want, very time consuming, but if you use powder, once you get the hand of it, it's a lot quicker and less mess/fumes

the best advice is get a buddy to go in half on everything

because when they see all them nice looking jigs, he/she is just going to fiqure you ain't going to miss a couple or so...

MAKE JIGS IN VENTILATED AREA, LEAD IS HAZOURDOUS, AND I AIN'T TO KEEN ON THE VINYL PAINT EITHER

so is it worth it? looking back I thought it was, or I wouldn't made so many of them, I have 5 different molds, fly tying vise and 2 melting pots later, but nowadays sometimes you can find sales that make it awful easy just to buy them, I still enjoy tying crappie jigs, but last time I just bought a pack of 1/16 oz jigs, not quite as cheap or rewarding as making them, but so much easier

H.

I did it because it was a fun thing to do, during the winter its a fun thing to do if your not in the ice house or you can do it if your in the ice house. Fun to try different things with the jigs, plus you can sell them on [YouNeedAuthorization] and make a few extra $$$

I like to catch fish on tackle and rods I build.

There is a extra feeling for pride that goes with it.

Is it worth it? Yes.

If you go true a lot of jigs or you can't find exactly what you want, it's a good way to go.

If you have a good source for lead it's a loot easier.

Doit molds are common (you can find then at that one farm store)

You can find any hook you like to put in them.

You can go cheep of pricy, it's your choice.

I have used a small pot for a long time (only $50)

I also make my own. I have a buddy that has the equipment, he got it real cheap from another person we know. We get our lead free, the only problem is that they are used tire weights, so alot of "processing" of the lead before we can use it. I can't reiterate what has been said, ventilation.

I make all of my own jig heads, plus cast my own lead and WW bullets. I have a Propane casting stove and fume hood setup in my garage.

It is kind of expensive getting started with jig molds running around Thirty dollars each. One option is to buy the heads painted or unpainted and dress them. This can cut down on the start up costs. Later on add the molds that suit you.

I use powder paint for a covering and sure do like the results.

Best of luck on your quest.

A good source for lead is a plumbing supply or look up the industrial surplus shops around town. I personally do not use tire weights because they are a hard alloy that does not flow well in the molds and will short the pour. Its worth the money to buy the 5 lb ingots from the plumbing shop to get a known allow that will pour well.

Also check out any old plumbers in your area. They may have old lead that they will part with for a good deal!

I have gone to the stain glass window shops and got there used window lead works good just have to skimm the junk off it.Also another good place is if you no someone in industeral roofing there is lead on building roofs and seems good to, just have to clean the scumm off.Tire wieghts works but yes alot more work and takes way more time IMO.

You can get everything you need on a well known auction site. Stay away from the wheel weight lead. It is too hard and does not cast well. As far as the dental xray foil goes it is a hard alloy and is very dirty(lots of dross) so you need to clean and flux it first. The used molds are going for 20-28$ on the auction site. Lead will cost somewhere around 1.50 /lb. Hooks will run you 5$/hundred. Painting takes practice. There is a local site by a name of Craig where you can rent molds. It does not take long to make a bunch. I agree with the others about ventilation. I would also suggest rubber gloves when detaching the sprues.

Priority mail is pretty cheep. You can mail up 40 lbs for less than 10 bucks. Are you looking for unpainted or finished jigs? You can mail anything that will fit in a flat mail envelope regardless of weight for 4.80. So depending on how many jigs you are talking about the Grand Rapids area does not have to be a limiting factor.