• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Rite Of Passage

Shack

My oldest turned twelve yesterday and as a true Midwestern father, I got him the gift of all gifts.

A 20ga pump Mossberg (2/34”-3”) 24” barrel Accu-choke shotgun.

Short of a small protest from mother, it went as fluid as could be wink.

His friends have been getting shotguns at a lesser age and I held fast until he was twelve. I figured that was the age when I was able to hold my first gun and it would be a great time for his first gun. Plus, even though this gun is 7” shorter than my Remington, I felt this gun (43” long) will last him through his youth (even though a tad bit big right now).

I caught him off guard with the surprise, but here he is:

3ChVP14gccE4bIVRtdNcMPUHDDOq7drA0300.jpg

Here is his first trigger pull on the wood pile out back:

1cqWaWVS-qSG70LLNvWeN7r78KBOZqzW0300.jpg

Now it is off to gun safety training, before the trigger is pulled again wink.

I figure this could spark others to get their kids into gun safety training and I figure I would share.

I am proud of my boy and I see a great future hunter smile .

Take a kid hunting wink

Thats how we keep kids hunting, get them involved young. I can hardly wait to take my daughter out with me. She already gets mad at me when I go out bow hunting and don't come home with anything and she just turned 3 on the 12th. wink I think I have the making of a young hunter. Also, she is the only 3 year old girl that I know that would sit and watch hunting on tv with without getting bored.

wow, did that story and picture bring back memories. I started teaching my son to shoot when he was 6. Anyway, I had saved up some money while I was stationed at Thule AB, Greenland. During my 6 month leave I bought him a Rem Model 788 in .243 and got him thru the youth class. A buddy of mine took him deer hunting and he killed a doe. He said in a letter after he killed it and was being helped gut it he got to feeling real malencholy because I wasn't there to share that moment of his 1st deer. Man oh man did that hit me in the heart. He recently told me he re-stocked that ol 788 with a synthetic. He now tries to make it every year from his home in Las Vegas for the season. Congrats on bringing your son thru his rite of passage!!!!! Be the proud father when he gets his 1st wing kill!!!!

I got a remington youth 870 when I was his age and I'm 22 now, I still use that gun to this very day! Youth 20 gauges are an underestimated grouse gun. the thing kicks butt when out grouse hunting. slightly underpowered when pheasant hunting but it didn't keep me from getting birds.

Thanks guys!

We where talking hunter safety class last night wink

He has been out walking the last two years grouse hunting with me.

Next year he will be hunting, as long as he keeps up in school, stays out of trouble and keeps up being a great helper around home wink.

Cool Shack! Similar thing here, except my Grandson. I made sure his Dad got him in gun safety, and he passed in Sept. and he went with on two duck trips so far. He shot his first ducks (Arkansas'd them! ha!) on opening day, but the next weekend shot his first confirmed "on the wing" duck, and it sure made us and him feel proud!

My Grandpa gave me a .22 when I was about twelve, and about 5 years ago I got two Ruger 10/22's for my two grandsons, to give them when they passed gun safety. The one just passed and already has burned through a couple hundred rounds wink and the other still have about 5 years to go, ha!

I love this stuff!!! Great pics!

I finally got around to getting some video from this occasion.

This is my boys first shot even from a gun powder gun.

You got to start some where grin! Forgive me for the poor shooting of the video.

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

It cracks me up. I also ment to say "turn the safety on" wink

Ah, good times!

My daughter turns two in Jan. and she can already make perfect Elk and Moose calls.

This all started a weekend at Rutger's, she loved all the mounts on the wall. We kept showing her the Moose and Caribou in the lobby of the restaurant. The second night she started pointing to the back of the restaurant, saying Elk, Elk. We did not even see that there was an Elk mount at the back of the room.

It is so strange to watch her one second playing with her dolls and the next she is playing with the Moose and Elk that we bought her. Of course she is a little strange, she spends too much time with Maggie my Black Lab, I think sometimes she thinks she is a retriever.

Good luck with your daughter Mr.B.

Sounds like you are starting her off right wink.

Walterwontfalter you are right on. This footage was shot after a 10 minute or so tutorial I gave him on how to shoot. After reviewing the video I could see what you are saying. He is using the left eye grin

thats the same gun i got when i was 12!.....just a suggestion if hes goin to shoot slugs in it u might want to shoot it first i tried it with mine when i was 12 and since its so small it jumps like a mother and i got whacked in the nose 3or 4 times when dad said i was doing it wrong he tried and got whacked so i never did use it for slugs just a heads up

I really like the video, it reminds me of my first shot with a 20 gauge. My dad knew I wouldn't have listened to his advice anyways, so he just let me take a shot. I powdered the clay pigeon on the ground but just about knocked myself over in the process:)