• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dnr deer management (or lack there of)

Tyler D

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget it........

I'm talking to a brick wall here... I'm done!

I'm glad all of you QDM'ers are much better people then I am. I guess I should just quit hunting because I have absolutely no respect for the deer. Shame on me!

I agree 100% with all that you are saying. Saying that people who don't pratice QBM are disrespectfull to the deer or are less dedicated sportsman is just ignorance. This is why I normally stay out of these kinds of topics, they always turn into [PoorWordUsage] matches and no one repects eachothers opinion.

I usually try not to get involved in these debates, but i have been following this one. Please stop with the personal attacks. There are some strong willed people on both sides of this arguement that have valid points/concerns. This has changed from a semi heated discussion to personal attacks. Stop, take a deep breath, and move on.

Personally I am kind of on the fence, I like some of the ideas of QDM, but i am against forcing it. This may be taken a bit out of context, but the idea is there:

They probably have a deeper commitment to the sport and resource

They may also have deeper pockets. If you are talking about the people on the shows that preach QDM, they have way more money/time than I do. You guys get the picture, this point has been talked about earlier in this thread.

Good point UMD, everyone go raid your kids trick or treat candy and cool off a mite.

There are plenty of dedicated people on both sides. As I brought up earlier, there needs to be a little compromise on everyone's part and good progress can be made. get rid of party hunting. That wont hurt anyone too bad and it will help some bucks survive. that is pretty painless and pretty easy. My group has done this pretty much anyway (and we have a bunch of old curmudeon's, so anyone can do it). Second, mebbe move the season back a week or so. Again, no big pain involved for anyone and a few more bucks survive. Do those two, simple things for a couple of years, work on some education and evaluate where we are at. Prolly someone smarter than me can come up with another few simple ideas. Implement those. See how it works. Maybe you improve it by X% and everyone is happy and you leave it like that. Maybe you tweak it a little more in some areas.

One group that I would like to see.....hmmm, looking for the right word here.....controlled is those groups that shoot everything that moves, including songbirds, rabbits, and everything else that they come upon. Most of the time they are not out for the meat, they just wanna kill and shoot. Everyone knows a group like them. They dont do anyone any favors.

Jeez you're defensive Brule. I get it, you have crappy deer hunting...you live somewhere where you'll only see one deer per season (if you're lucky), You're going to shoot it regardless of size and be completely satisfied. Awesome. It's your perspective. It sounds like you don't have the population or the habitat that would be conducive to qdm. I would hope the DNR would take that into account when considering management plans.

Jeez you're defensive Brule. I get it, you have crappy deer hunting...you live somewhere where you'll only see one deer per season (if you're lucky), You're going to shoot it regardless of size and be completely satisfied. Awesome. It's your perspective. It sounds like you don't have the population or the habitat that would be conducive to qdm. I would hope the DNR would take that into account when considering management plans.

Well after getting looked down upon and insulted a few times, I guess I do get a bit defensive!

FYI, I hunt in an Intensive mgmt zone (not sure why it is..)But like I've said, they have a lot of room to roam and the forest where I hunt has been heavily managed over the years, therefore, it is really thick and nappy. Not a lot of mature timber, not a lot of clearcuts. It all happened through the 80-90's, so it's 10-20yr old growth.

I see deer, but usually it's their tails bouncing through the trees. I sit in stands, however, they don't do much moving on their own and no pressure to get them up and moving.

I have a few new strategies I'm going to try this year, we'll see how they go.

Some places QDM could work, and I'm all for it, just not mandatory. Other places it can't, or to be more honest, it just wouldn't make a difference. This is because there is so much land for the deer to hide and roam, they have a much greater chance of surviving. And a guy could pass on all the deer you want but I darn near garauntee ya you'll never see that deer again!

I'm talking miles of open land here, fellas.... Not a few 40's strew throughout marginal forest/farm country. Come hunt with me for a few years, with the limited time I have to hunt, and I'm sure you'll see things a little more in my perspective.

I think the point from the Non-QDM'ers ( better put QBM'ers)has been completely missed!

Why not give it a shot?

Because the folks that are opposed to QDM don't care about antlers. They want to shoot a deer and not have to worry about another regulation or law telling them what to do!

I'm not opposed to QDM. I understand QDM quite well, and by the sound of every post from QDM peeps, their main purpose is growing a big rack buck. QDM is supposed to be about quality "DEER" managemnt. But all I here from QDM peeps is "bucks". The sole purpose of QDM is not about bucks, it's about the health and balance of the deer herd. I don't think I missed what QDM is, rather it's you guys who think it's all about buck that miss what QDM really is about. Like you said, it should be QBM, not QDM.

Originally Posted By: CSTPETER

Well after getting looked down upon and insulted a few times, I guess I do get a bit defensive!

FYI, I hunt in an Intensive mgmt zone (not sure why it is..)But like I've said, they have a lot of room to roam and the forest where I hunt has been heavily managed over the years, therefore, it is really thick and nappy. Not a lot of mature timber, not a lot of clearcuts. It all happened through the 80-90's, so it's 10-20yr old growth.

I see deer, but usually it's their tails bouncing through the trees. I sit in stands, however, they don't do much moving on their own and no pressure to get them up and moving.

Some places QDM could work, and I'm all for it, just not mandatory. Other places it can't, or to be more honest, it just wouldn't make a difference. This is because there is so much land for the deer to hide and roam, they have a much greater chance of surviving. And a guy could pass on all the deer you want but I darn near garauntee ya you'll never see that deer again!

I'm talking miles of open land here, fellas.... Not a few 40's strew throughout marginal forest/farm country. Come hunt with me for a few years, with the limited time I have to hunt, and I'm sure you'll see things a little more in my perspective.

Brule I hunt some of the same NE big woods as you do, the 10-20 year old regrowth is some of the best stuff around. Sit and be patient if there isn't much pressure they will move on their own. Hunt on the downwind side between 2 patches of that nice thick regrowth and you will see some bucks cruising for does. Pack a lunch and hunt all day and you might get a nice buck.

Also I'm not looking down on anyone, just a healthy debate.

Originally Posted By: CSTPETER

Brule I only hunt around home and at times when visiting around Staples,Wadena,Motley.Archery only I'd like to know where your area is? I at one time or another in 48 years of deer hunting may have been there.Would you email me,I will not hunt there or mention it! But I am courious,and it sounds familar? But arent all new cut woods.

Ya lot a stompin North of Floodwood,built some places (helped carpenter)Island lake,Fish.When you say NW of TwoHarbors you yet east of 53? Some of those clearcuts produce lots of berries midsummer,I used to cruise lookin for them.Grouse & woodcock huntin also.Most of my deer huntin was around meadowlands,dumblane,cotton.

Just to throw out my 2 pennies. My brother and I pass on what we consider smaller bucks. Our dad pretty much shoots whatever comes by,He's 70yrs old and this is fine with us(yes, sometimes frustratting), this year he shot a 4 point that my brother and I are pretty sure we both passed on. My dad was excited and we were happy for him. This is our 3rd yr of I guess "QDM" no monsters yet but but some great times with my brother and dad. And if my post seems to go completely off the subject I appologize. For ME it's about spending the time with my dad a bro.

I COMPLETELY agree with BruleDrifter, yet I do pass on all young bucks. Do I do it for the health of the herd or for bigger antlered deer for next year? To be honest, I do it for bigger antlered deer. "QBM"if you must. I don't think that's a bad thing and I don't think it's a bad thing for people to shoot young bucks. I believe there are A LOT of hunters out there that want bigger bucks, but do not believe that the basket racked bucks that they shoot could be the big bucks they are looking for if given one or more years to live. I wish the DNR could somehow do a better job at showing them that it's not genetics but a mere 1 to 2 years of age that will turn almost ANY basket rack into a very nice buck. I think educating the hunting public verses forced rules would go a VERY long way.