Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Foss

Garmin question

5 posts in this topic

I've got a Garmin E-Trex handheld, smile.gif and I'm wondering if there's anyone out there whose gotten the computer cable accessory to the E-Trex and how they like being able to patch into computer mapping coordinates. What did the cable cost, and is it worth it?

------------------
Steve (stfcatfish@yahoo.com)

I have had the cord for at least three years now. I find it to be invaluable. What I like to do for either fishing trips, canoe trips to the boundary waters, or backpacking trips, is use a software package like TOPO! and select waypoints based on map features, that will be usefull for my trip; portages, campsites, trails, potential hotspots for fishing, boat landings, parking lots, nearby towns, etc. I create a waypoint list with the software, then download it to my GPS (etrex) with the touch of a button. This saves alot of time over having to enter them manually. Also, when I return from a trip, I can save the waypoints to a file on my computer, along with any pertinent waypoints I added during the trip, (ie; the real fishing hotspot) and save it easily, now I can clear all the waypoints from my GPS, and put some more in for the next trip. When I want to return to an area, I simply open that waypoint file and re-download all the waypoints I had saved earlier. I would say that if you are a serious outdoorsman, and fish, hunt, camp or hike or whatever in more than one place, buying the cable is a very smart investment, along with a quality mapping software with waypoint management features.

Thanks cold. I'll get he cord. Sounds like a good deal. What's the best mapping software? Cost?

Also, the link below goes to a mapping server that, if you have an advanced enough browser, will let you pull up topo maps. Best part? The Lat/Long coordinates register for wherever on the map your cursor is, so if you don't have map software to download onto your GPS, you can write the coordinates down and enter them by hand. grin.gif

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?BPID=MAP0060030900

I am not sure what is the best mapping software out there, I use a TOPO! product, although I think they were bought out by National Geographic. I have been using it for years even before I had a GPS, It is very user friendly, 7.5 minute quads of all of minnesota. Many of the lakes have 10' contour intervals. The waypoint management software works great too. Another program I use is EasyGPS, to manageway points, it is software you can download for free from the internet. That works good as well, nice little details like the ability to change waypoint icons. I have also used mapquest, That is really handy when I am not at home and would like some more information about an area, just wish there were more internet access cafes, etc. in the more remote parts of the state/country. Good luck, I am sure you will appreciate the time savings and convenience of the PC cable for you GPS.