• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow for Rifle Season

Things seem to be pointing towards a deer season of yester-year.....I think there is a pretty good chance of cold and snow here (Bemidji Area) this season. We seem to be in a wet pattern off and one an some colder temps may be heading our way on the 10 day.

My first season was the year of the Halloween Blizzard....terrible to walk in...we had snow and cold in my younger formative years. Lately we have had powder puff hunting conditions.

I like the dry leaves...it is harder to see them, but I can hear the better. With the snow thedeer just "pop-up"

Yep I agree with removing the standing corn 1st. I would love see to have a few inches of snow with a thin layer of crust like back in 03. That was the last time I can remember a typical gun opener. Since then, I’ve pretty much been swatting at mosquitoes by mid day, not my ideal gun season.

From my records:

Note: Nine day season in Central Minnesota.

1991 Halloween blizzard - enough said.

1993 Deep snow

1994 No snow cover all season

1995 Very cold - snow on ground

1996 Warm and dry with wet snow/rain on second weekend

1997 Fresh snow every day after first weekend. 6-8 inches on day

1998 Season started with no snow, last 4 days had 3-6 inch cover

1999 Warm and dry all season

2000 Some snow on last Sunday.

2001 No snow all season

2002 No snow all season

2003 Season started with 4 inches and stayed cold.

2004 No snow all season

2005 No snow all season

2006 No record

2007 No snow all season

Hey Luckey,

Good record keeping... I should do something like that. Out of curiosity, what were the outcomes for those years. Was there a difference with or without snow?

I'm hoping for all the corn to be off the Wednesday before Opener and then 2 days of blowing and some snow with a clear up for a crisp, fresh snow covered opening morning. Hopefully the wind and snow will keep the deer down and they will be chomping at the bit to get up and mover around!! A guy can dream can't he!!

**For the record we don't need any of that 15below weather we had a few years ago on opening day.