• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shooting techniques

Was wondering what techniques you use shooting ducks. Getting back into it and if my memory serves me right some use the bead when leading and some use the barrel and cover the duck as you lead or something to that effect. How far do you lead?Any other techniques that works for you? I just need to find one that works for me. Then maybe I can shoot one. I sitll need to remmeber to keep swinging thru as I shoot too.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you need to work on your follow through. This is key you cant just take aim stop and shoot, you need to follow through. As for the beed or barrel thing, I have always used my bead unless they are flying straight away from you (i.e. jump shooting). I had a great article out of field and stream that had some great advice for bird shooting. As always have fun and dont get frustrated and PRACTICE!!!!!!!

Its different every shot IMO I put the bead on decoying ducks, I use a smooth swing when shooting at passer by's and use a reaction point when jump shooting

Practice Practice Practice

I forgot to mention as a kid we used to use one of those plastic cheap throwers duck tapped onto the end of a hockey stick. THat was fun because that clay pigion never came out the same so you got really good at judging. Also its a cheap way to practice!

IMO, if you use the bead and concentrate on that you will miss more ducks than you hit. You have to remember that you are shooting a shotgun and the reality of shooting a shotgun is basic fundamentals and NOT to shoot a shotgun like a rifle. Put the front of the barrel out there, hit the trigger and see what happens, if you miss you, miss. My best advice is to go to a sporting clays range and find a station or stations that would best suit your situation, whether its crossing targets, dropping or rising targets and shoot a couple of boxes of shells on those stations and if you are having problems with a certain target, work on it with someone. A good tip for practice that I use for shooting sporting clays and trap, is I take my shotgun, pick a point on the wall, close my eyes and mount the shotgun numerous times at that spot, I try and do this daily! Keep your head on the stock (no peeking), swing and follow thru. Hope this helps smile Tim

I believe the most important thing in shooting is to bring the gun to your head and not your head to the gun, leave both eyes open and always follow through.

You can practice this at home with a small flashlight in the end of your barrel and just follow along the seam between a wall and the ceiling.

Practice bringing the gun to your head and follow the seam as you do it, smoothly.

Leading ducks takes practice. Every shot is different and every duck flies at a different rate and at different angles.

Practice, practice and then practice some more.

I totally agree with having proper gun placement when raising the gun to your shoulder. I read somewhere if you see your bead and some of the barrel when you raise up you will shoot high and if you see no bead when on shoulder then you will shoot too low. Be sure you have your cheek on the stock....can't say this enough. Its easy to lift your head on those "easy shots" and miss cleanly. As far as leads go....it takes time and practice. Some people may think I am stupid but I actually removed the bead from my gun. I shoot with both eyes open and use a natural aim and have done a lot better. I like to try new things out all the time at the range and try to improve on the shot.

practice is always good even its dry practice and I have had the problem of the stop and pull the trigger and its hard top break until this year. I have alway shot with one eye closed and some one told me to shoot with both open and what a differnce it made for me the follow thru seems to come with it as you tend to have a bigger field of veiw I also use the barrel and the bead and cant tell the differcne. I practice in the garage empty of course putting the gun to my cheek and swinging with both eyes open. then I find myself out in the duck blind remindinding myself to shoot 2 eyes open until it just becomes habit and a good one. good luck

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
I usually aim a bit over their heads. If I miss then I'll have a second shot when they get up off the water.

no comment.

nothin wrong with water pounding per the duck commander he says he dont shoot em till they stop swimming if thier swimmin in my decoys thats means they derserve a water swat

Hey, Im reduced to jumpshooting in this fine waterfowling part of the world. You hit one on the water and get the rest while they're flying up. Id much rather work flying ducks in and light em up on the drop, but I also want to EAT!

Stuttgart for a week in Jan will make me feel better.

I shoot at ducks right before they land. The wings are wide open and they are easier targets. The second shot...they are on the water. The third, taking off. Get it down...and three for three can be easy.

Some say that is cheap and not a sport. Well, I don't (or very very rarely) use decoys or duck calls and I eat the whole bird and don't just breast it and chuck the rest. I think my way is much much better...but to each his own (I guess).

Way to go SledNeck, for standing up and stating the way you hunt!

It all depends what situation presents itself.

If they are not acting like they wanna come in and land. I'll take a passing shot at em, assuming I am working the duck in. If they are acting like they wanna land, Ill let em land and especially if my 10 year old is with Ill let him hit the first one on the water or when its getting up. Usually he pulls up to shoot and the duck starts to get up anyway.

When Im timber hunting in arkansas we let the big groups dropping in land and then we hit em when they get up. That seems to be the unwritten rule there and I have no problem with that, plus it saves the decoys! Wood ducks fly through the timber at 40 mph!

Its more fun to put a good shot on one and knock it dead in the air, but hey, I'll take em anyway I can get em when Im hunting around here.

I love to sneak up on ducks on water.

It is a lost art to have the chance to crawl up to so weary ducks in a pond to get a good shot.

I also like to track deer and try to sneak up to them with a bow. It can be done, but much more of a challenge as the deer has to be in a good feeding spot to stay for any length of time.