• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire Chains For Ice Fishing Question

Everclear

I have an Articat 400 4x4. During early season on glare ice

I experience traction problems and steering problems. Thinking about getting tire chains. Would there be any problems putting them on the front tires to help with the steering or should I keep them on the rear only?

The only problem with them on the front only is the back end will come around on you all the time. I dont think you would run into any mechanical problems on the front though. Try it both ways and see which you like best.

For what its worth....I was told by a dealer (Polaris) that I shouldn't put chains on only the front, either rear or all 4. I guess it has to do with how the 4x4 engages and if they are only on the front tires, it puts a lot of stress on the axels and u joints. Thats for a Polaris sportsman. Not sure if it applies to other brands or if he was just trying to get me to buy another set of chains....

ERW

This will be my 2nd year with the 4-wheeler on ice. I did not use it alot last year, but also had no problems. What would you expect to pay for a set of chains? Any good places to go pick them up?

Thanks