• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel question?

Croix

My St Croix Avid reel is making a funky noise when I cast. It sort of a hissing noise, or a whine... The description is poor but what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Croix

Could be anything.

The brakes, the bearings, the spool, some sand, a loose line loop,...

Thats what I was affraid of...I did take it all apart and everything looks intact and is well greased. Looks like ill have to send it back to St. Croix.

My Luna reel will get a nasty whine after I've used it in the rain. The worm gears dry out and it squeals when you cast. Just oil the worm gear, but most importantly oil it at the ends. This is where the problem is.

I think that if you can eliminate the spool bearings, if you have no line on it and spin the spool on free. No noise, not bearings. Very small rubbing noise, might just be the spool or bearings - could be normal.

If you have line on and leave a little loose end and reel and put the spool on free. You should hear noise of line slapping as it spins. If the sound matches somewhat then it's just line slap from a loose loop on the cast.

Thanks for the Ideas. Took it all apart yesterday for about 3 hours, looked at every part again, greased/oiled it up went out and made a few casts and on the 5 or 6th cast it was back. Looks like ill have to send it back or find someone who repairs/has St. Croix/Diawa parts.

I think this problem is beyond my knowledge...Its too bad the reel is in great shape for 3 yrs old, and was my first musky reel. It was my baby! smile