• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tony Dean Has Passed Away.

candiru

I grew up watching Saturday morning fishing shows when I couldn't be outside myself. He was always one I looked forward to seeing. Great steward for the outdoors and life in general. He will truely be missed by many. Rest in peace Tony.

Didn't even know he was sick.. does anybody know any details?

Here ya go

From the Argus Leader

Outdoors broadcaster and conservationist Tony Dean died early Sunday as a result of complications from an appendectomy.

The 67-year-old was among immediate family members at his home in Pierre, where he had been seated in the living room overlooking the Missouri River.

"He could see the water; he could see the ducks," said his wife, Darlene DeChandt. "He knew he was sick, but he said, 'You know, I'm not afraid.' "

The family is organizing a service to celebrate Dean's life. His body will be cremated and the ashes sprinkled over lands where he liked to hunt and fish.

Dean had his appendix removed in Pierre in late September and was moved to a Sioux Falls hospital a week later to treat complications. He returned home Thursday. His death was not a surprise.

Dean earned a reputation for standing up for conservation, no matter the financial consequences. He was criticized for supporting Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson and then again for backing Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign.

DeChandt said her husband's final work before he fell ill last month was recording commercials for Obama's campaign. If Obama were to win, she said, Dean was going to be on his transition team.

"He was absolutely thrilled. He felt strongly that Obama was the one with enough insight and was young enough" to appreciate land conservation, DeChandt said.

Jason Mitchell of Devil's Lake, N.D., recorded several TV shows with Dean for "Tony Dean Outdoors" before buying the program early this year. Dean eased the transition by joining Mitchell as co-host for the new "Jason Mitchell Outdoors."

Mitchell said Dean had the courage to stand up against the National Rifle Association when it supported candidates who he felt did not have conservation at heart.

"He took a lot of those stances, sometimes at a great financial cost," he said. "Tony could see the big picture. He was doing those things for future generations."

Conservation activist Dave Zentner of Duluth, Minn., had been a close friend of Dean's for 40 years. Zentner said they both promoted a respect for the land and water that hunters and anglers enjoy.

"He knew there had to be a message about taking care of that resource," he said.

Dean hosted and produced "Tony Dean Outdoors" since 1985 and produced the daily radio show "Dakota Backroads" since 1990. He also wrote columns for the Argus Leader and was considering forming a conservation think tank before he died.

DeChandt said a fund will be established in Dean's name to set aside land for public hunting.

"We're losing more than a friend. The prairies have lost a voice that is, to me, the most amazing voice of a generation," Zentner said. "And it's a tough loss to take."

Absolutley no one put a show together better than Tony Dean. His easy going ways made you want to share a boat or a shotgun with him. He was the consumate professional when it came to fishing and hunting, and his love of the land and resources was evident in his shows. Thoughts and prayer to his family and many friends. Bill

Tony Dean was the real deal when it came to conservation matters and hunting and fishing ethics. I thought he had one of the smoothest TV voices and produced a top notch show. It has been a few years since any network we get carried his shows and I really have missed them. Very sorry to hear this sad news and we all need to share in this loss.

Sad news. I got to meet him this past March. Nice, genuine man. I really did like his TV shows, he always told us where he was and I could see myself at those locations. I probably will never be fishing for Peacock Bass in the Amazon. I could connect with his shows. What a great voice and story teller for the for the Dakota's outdoorsman. I will miss him.

Really sad news. I grew up watching Tony Dean Outdoors on Saturday mornings and became familiar with the Dakotas landscape through his television show. Just this weekend I was humming his theme song as we settled into the duck blind near Minot.

He was a true conservation champion and didn't play all the political games. Fishing, Hunting, Outdoors Media, and conservation were dealt a huge blow in his passing.

Tony definately had things right. Not only did he enjoy hunting and fishing but even more so, knew what conservation it took to have those resources available.

Hate to see him gone but can't help but saying that it's fitting to go on the coveted South Dakota pheasant opener weekend.

May your fields be filled with game and lakes filled with fish Tony!!

I grew up enjoying his television shows and I also enjoyed listening to him speak at seminars or other occasions. He was genuine with a capital G. He was one that you could relate to and take something from each time he spoke. It may not have always been a technique or tactic, but maybe just the way that he carried himself. I respected him and he will be missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.