• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One man canoe

Hey folks looking for a suggestion or two; I have a old town discovery 174 (17') Works great for anything that two guys or the occasional third want to accomplish. I have spun it around and used it as a one man. Ok, but not great. What I think I am looking for is a 10' or 12' boat that is about the same width and probably only need one seat. I would guess most come w/ two seats but not sure at that length. Any one run a light, durable, quiet canoe??? right now, lookin' at the 12' old town pack or pack angler. any one have a good suggestion for me, thanx

No discussion needed: get the Old Town Pack. Best purchase I ever made. Over the last 6 years, I've used mine for everything from fishing to duck hunting to 150 mile wilderness trips in the BWCA. Yes, there are quiter, faster canoes out there, but for bang for your buck, you can't beat the Pack. One suggestion if you get the Pack: do a little customizing and lower the seat about 3-4 inches. It's easy, and it greatly improves stability. Not sure about the seat situation in the Pack Angler.

Not quite sure about the wenohah but have oogled over them a few times. is that model you mention a kevlar material or more of a plastic like the old town royalex? The pack seems pretty ideal to me. the angler series has a different seat, soft sided "work bench", and anchor, don't need the anchor much, rope will be more than fine, bench might be nice, definetly can rig up something very similarpretty easy, and for the back rest, I don;t think that I will like it, may have to check it out, but have come to like my "buckle on" canoe seat. I like the Idea of lowering the seat a little. Does it have the same design as all the webbed old town seats? lengthen the wood spindles and bolts alittle, would that be about it? photog If you don;t mind how much did you find you boat for? what should I expect to pay? HSOforum msrp is 800 for pack and i think 1000 for the angler. Thanx for the advice guys, not sure when I'll be able to pull the trigger but, I KNOW it will be awesome to throw in the arsenal. If any one has anything else to bring up let me know I sure don;t want to over look! Oh and welcome to FM glad I was able to intrigue you to post.

All the Wenonah's you should be able to get them in a few different materials to trade cost for weight. Email me if you need recommendations for place to go look at them. I know a few local places will happily order you whatever you want.

youngie - yes, the Pack seats are standard old town issue. Mine is a cane seat, but I've seen them recently sold with web seats as well. And yes, to lower the seat, I simply put in longer bolts. I didn't bother with longer wood spindles, though. Instead, I put extra nuts and washers on the top side of the wood seat and the bottom side of the gunwale to prevent the whole seat from moving up and down. I paid $649 when I bought mine 6 years ago from Cabelas in Owatonna. Times have changed, but I called about a dozen Old Town dealers in the twin cities vicinity and Cabelas had the best price, so it may still be worth a shot. No clue what you can expect to pay now. Good luck! I'm actually very glad I got this craft over a kevlar, as I spend most of my time on rivers, although at the time of purchase I saw the Pack as a inexpensive compromise. The Pack can take a beating. The royalex slides over rocks so easily - I just can't stand that ripping sound of kevlar.

On most of my tandem canoes, I have replaced my rear thwart with what is called a kneeling thwart. It is a bit wider plank that is dropped slightly from the gunwales, that you rest your backside against and kneel in the canoe. It moves your weight closer to the center of the canoe, which helps the trim issue. It also keeps you out of the widest point, which helps you keep from dragging your knuckles on the trim as you stretch with your paddle. There is a guy in Saint Paul that sells canoe parts, if it’s not on his HSOforum, I am sure that he can get one for you.

Just one guys solution.

Gas Man

Depending on how much you paddle, you can't go wrong with a Bell Magic. I've done a couple medium(70-90 mile) trips and fished a ton. It can be a bit lively with no load and a decent wind. I hit the Minnesota last year on Feb. 29th and winterized it a week before Halloween.

My neighbor bought a Souris River solo last summer. He loves it, but I have yet to paddle it. We both live by Nokomis, so if you'd like to check either of them out this spring, we'll be over there a few times.