• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Licensing a wheel house .....

Insp Gadget

I did a search here and can't believe I didn't find this topic so I'll have to ask.

We just built our first wheelhouse. I recall seeing mentions here and there about what kid of license you need etc. I know we have to provide documentation, value, GVW etc, but what do they tax you on, and is the license something you need to renew every year, or is it like a boat trailer and good forever?

We have a tandem axle max 7000 lbs, empty weight likely under 3000, yes have brakes etc. 8x22.

Thanks for the help!

I don't know forsure what they tax you on, but you paid sales tax on everything when you purchased it to build the fish house. IMO if they make you pay sales tax again just make they amount really, really low. Another thing is if it has bunks and cook top(which I assume it does), they will make you license it as an RV. They will tell you everything when you go in to license it.

I believe your trailer license plate will be based on the gross rated weight of the trailer. So if it is 7000lbs then that would be what be what they use. If it falls under the RV class then the rates are higher i believe. But most plates are based on gross trailer weight to account for road usage and wear.

So bottom line is you need to license a wheelhouse, regardless of bunks/stoves, etc?

Yep, they have to be licensed as a trailer now. When they decided that we didn't need a license for our portable, they decided that the wheel house needed to be licensed as trailer.

I recently opened a similar discussion: Wheel house question

I had to licence my wheel house as an RV due to having an oven and bunks. They called someone at the DMV in St. Paul to find out what to do. They said if it were just a fish house it could be licenced as a trailer. Since I purchased mine, I had to pay sales tax of about $500! It is the law that they be registered, I don't know if the DNR would pinch you while it is on the ice (they do have traffic enforcement power)or not...I would like to think not. It would probably be worth it to register it. Mine will cost me about $10 per year now that I already paid for the RV plates.

I also built my own house. When I went into the license bureau, they wanted receipts for everything I purchased and paid sales tax on. That sales tax was deducted from the tax of the declared value of the house and the difference was what I paid to the state. The license itself is based on the GVWR of the trailer. My house is a 16', and has a 'loaded' weight of about 6300# I licensed for 7000# or 7500# just to be safe. The plate I believe costs me around $15/anually. Then the house also must be licensed as a fishouse(stays on ice overnight & unattended). It's a double-whammy for the comfort. Phred52

I recently opened a similar discussion: Wheel house question

I had to licence my wheel house as an RV due to having an oven and bunks. They called someone at the DMV in St. Paul to find out what to do. They said if it were just a fish house it could be licenced as a trailer. Since I purchased mine, I had to pay sales tax of about $500! It is the law that they be registered, I don't know if the DNR would pinch you while it is on the ice (they do have traffic enforcement power)or not...I would like to think not. It would probably be worth it to register it. Mine will cost me about $10 per year now that I already paid for the RV plates.

A vehicle registration license is needed for the wheelhouse to be legally towed down a public street or highway. It isn't needed to be on the ice. The only time you could be cited for not having the registration license is if you were caught pulling it down the road.

They will ask what you paid for it and may have you sign a afadavid. At least that is what they did when I licensed a trailer I bought used. If they do not beleive you they may not accept it and require more proof. This is where it is good to know which DMV location is good to work with and which ones are power trippers.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you do not need to license your house if you are going to pull it down the road with a slow moving sign on it and you only go like 45 MPH. Farmers do it all year long! Also, we called 3 different locations to see what they said about getting a fish house licensed and got 3 different answers. They don't know either!!

Rainman,

The note below is from the 2008 Fishing Regs booklet. The reason farmers can do what they do is because they are agricultural vehicles or equipment which have their own regulations. Hope this helps you out.

Note: The Dept. of Public Safety - DVS now requires trailers

used to haul fish houses or dark houses and enclosed trailers or recreational trailers used for fishing must be registered. See your local Deputy Registrar for trailer registration.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you do not need to license your house if you are going to pull it down the road with a slow moving sign on it and you only go like 45 MPH. Farmers do it all year long! Also, we called 3 different locations to see what they said about getting a fish house licensed and got 3 different answers. They don't know either!!

What allows the farmers to do it without registartion is that the trailer is considered an "implement of husbandry". Fancy name for a trailer designed and used for agricultural purposes.