• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Challenge to You

Ok I know this is like going to be asking all of you to choose your favorite child, but I’m curious so it can’t hurt to ask.

Could you please post your favorite pic, your “personal best” if you will.

For some it might be the rare sighting or others maybe a cherished photo of your child or pet.

I know, very tough, but pretend I had the proverbial “gun to your head”.

Which one are you picking?

You are right, dtro. There isn't a single fave.

Since my mind is usually on the recent rather than the old, I'll post this one taken late last month. For those who don't remember or may not have seen it, it is not fall color shot through a geological arch formation, but a reflection in a still pool of the Little Indian Sioux River in the Boundary Waters about 30 miles from Ely.

If it's not my favorite favorite, it's definitely in the top five.

2877257907_f99e8b951c_o.jpg

I haven't taken it yet. Lots that I like but in almost 30 years of photography I am still waiting for my personal best! With the volume of shots I take in a year I wouldn't even know where to start! I know its kind of a cop out!

"This" photo is really what got me interested in nature photography.....taken a few years ago and still, after all these years, is one of the best captures I've taken ...not that often whitetails will pose for you! grin...saw these 2 fawns feeding along the highway and figured they'd "spook" if I stopped the truck to capture a few snaps(fuji P&S).....amazingly they didn't!...they just stood there 15' away and let me get all the photos I wanted!..go figure!....Ive taken thousands of images though the years but still one of my "favorites!" grin

deer7-4.jpg

Honestly! I'll post one just for the sake of participation, but it would be easier to do it by category ie... landscapes, nature, people, birds etc. Here is one that I was lucky to get on my first try at Split Rock Lighthouse. I have been back numerous times as have been friends of mine and no sunrise even compares to the one our group got this morning and the following morning at Tettegouche... it was otherworldly for about seven minutes and then it was gone.

85230114.jpg

This was taken on Thanksgiving day in 2006. I was in the process of making dinner rolls and noticed that it was going to be a red sunrise so I got in the car and went to this spot. At the time I did not own a tripod so I balanced it on a log.

DuckatsunriseNNppcopycopy-1.jpg

Jim, that is one the most gorgeous images I have seen! Unbelievable. I sure hope that's on your wall.

Here is my favorite today. Since I'm still pretty new to this I get new personal bests quite a bit, which is good I guess. It's pretty hard looking at your own work and picking a favorite because they change so often, sometimes every time I go out I come back with a new favorite.

95309916.jpg

Here's mine, this little sweetie almost climbed in my blind with me. After stomping her feet she snorted so close I thought I'd get snot on me. I met her a couple times afterward and learned she was caring for twin fawns. If it was'nt my best shot, it was one of my best encounters.

Mic

2949872379_5fd9b32f37_o.jpg

Jolly, nice image. Is he half of the group The Brothers Curtis? I photographed them during the 2005 Boundary Waters Blues Festival up here in Ely/Winton in 2005. Great music from those guys!

Nice work in here. Lots of very cool photos, folks. smilesmilesmile

Yup! They are both great guys that play great blues! I take guitar lessons from the other Curtis.

They have a new CD out and are going to Memphis in February to compete in the International Blues Challenge as Minnesota's representatives.

You've got some great blues photos from the Boundary Waters Blues Fest yourself, Steve!