Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tracker x-2

Jerk string

11 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone on here has had much success with the jerk string. I recently bought one and was wondering if anyone has a good idea on how to keep the rope and bungee cord wrapped up neatly.

Any ideas would be appriciated.

Yep - I'm a fan. We shot some birds last Saturday on a calm day and I'm convinced they wouldn't have checked us out without the string. I made mine - too cheap to pay for it. the best thing to do is keep the long line on and extension chord holder (about $1) at any hardware store. We attach about 5-6 foot of bungee to an old window weight (5 lbs).

Basically what we do is put about 1/2 dozen birds on the a stringer - attach the farthest end with a clip to a loop at the end of the bungee and haul it out as far as you want them to be and drop it. Unwrap as much excess string as you need to get back to the boat. Works like a charm. We also keep the jerk string stuff all in its own decoy bag.

I hope this helps.

Hugo, where does the weight come in to play? Or where have you had the best luck placing the weight along the string of decoys? Do you attach the bungee to the closest decoy or the farthes? This sounds like a great idea.

Hugo, where does the weight come in to play? Or where have you had the best luck placing the weight along the string of decoys? Do you attach the bungee to the closest decoy or the farthes? This sounds like a great idea.

I put the weight at the far end of the string with the bungee on it - that way you pull on the end in the boat and the blocks swim at you as it stretches the bungee out a bit. Let go and they swim back to where they started. We've not tried it with any of the long divers strings (15+ decoys) but it works great on the short strings of half a dozen birds we have set up. We typically keep 6 mallards, 6 divers, and six geese ready to be tied to the jerk string so that we can switch it up right out in the field depending on what's flying. I'm a terrible decoy tinkerer though and am lucky the boys didn't shoot me last weekend!!

I'll try to get smart enough to add a diagram.

The green eggs are decoys - the "big weight" is a 5 lb window weight. The "optional weight" is in case you have concerns about ducks flaring at a string being pulled on the surface. That weight can be another window weight. Problem is its a PITA to pick back up so I'd try it without the closest weight to the boat if possible.

Good luck. - erik

stringer.jpg

When you made me sit in the rain on Friday I did not think of taking you out but when you filled in the hole where the birds wanted to be on Saturday, that was right in front of me, I was thinking about it. Since you do all the work setting the decoys and moving them five times a day, I will let it slide and I will be the one pulling the jerk string. By the way, where did you get the bungee cord? Does Fleet Farm have something like that? They have everything other than diapers. I think I will build one here soon.

ACE for the bungee and as for filling in the landing pcoket - that was just to challenge you with farther shots!! Also, Fleet Farm has horse diapers just not the ones for kids.

Not a bad diagram. Are you using a classic black bungee made out of rubber (they'd seem to be too thick) or did you use the type that is wrapped in nylon (they seem to be a little more stretchy). Is the bungee a little thinner than most?

Wallter -

We use the 3/8" nylon stuff and about 5-6 feet of it.

Good luck - erik

Walter, you buy this thin stuff by the foot at Ave. We used the white and blue stuff. Works great.

Also Instead of using a bungee, you can use a spring....similar to the type used on a screen door.....just not so heavy duty......the bugee will lose it elasticity in COLD water, the spring will not.